Cat Flap in DG Door

How to remove the inside and outer glass for the fitting of a cat flap? I want to take out the glass panes for the glazier to cut. I assume that the inner beading, around the inner glass pane would "unclip", if I run an knife between the glass pane and the beading. Is this double glazing normally hermetically sealed? The glazier wants 130 notes for coming out to do the work. Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

It's a sealed unit and it wouldn't be sealed properly if it was cut into....I doubt whether he would do it anyway, but if he does, it will steam up inside afterwards.

Is the door and upper and lower DG panel or is it one long pane? - if it's in two then just replace the bottom panel with a pvc or timber one that the catflap will fit into easily, or get a dog.

Reply to
Phil L

The message from "John McLean" contains these words:

I'm amazed he'll do it at all. The glass in doors has to be (above a certain size) toughened or laminated. Toughened, you'll have to cut the hole before it's treated - you can't do it afterwards. Laminated is not common.

Reply to
Guy King

A glazier will make you a replacement glass panel with a hole for the cat flap - the hole being seales around inthe same way as the edges. I had this done for a kitchen window 15 years ago to cope with an extractor fan.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I doubt whether he could supply the glass alone for £130, let alone make a new unit and fit it.

Reply to
Phil L

Why not? - that what it cost us fitted for a new toughened DG unit with cat flap - we supplied the cat flap, they made up the full length unit and fitted it Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

The message from "Phil L" contains these words:

I've just ordered three panes, one about 5'x4', the others 4'x18", toughened 24mm units with Pilington K glass - just over £250.

Reply to
Guy King

It's much easier and cheaper to put the flap in the wall.

Easier to get rid of when not required as well.

Reply to
EricP

|Phil L wrote: |> John McLean wrote: |> |>>How to remove the inside and outer glass for the fitting of a cat |>>flap? I want to take out the glass panes for the glazier to cut. I |>>assume that the inner beading, around the inner glass pane would |>>"unclip", if I run an knife between the glass pane and the beading. |>>Is this double glazing normally hermetically sealed? |>>The glazier wants 130 notes for coming out to do the work. |>>Jaymack |> |> |> It's a sealed unit and it wouldn't be sealed properly if it was cut |> into....I doubt whether he would do it anyway, but if he does, it will steam |> up inside afterwards. |> |> Is the door and upper and lower DG panel or is it one long pane? - if it's |> in two then just replace the bottom panel with a pvc or timber one that the |> catflap will fit into easily, or get a dog. |> |> |A glazier will make you a replacement glass panel with a hole for the |cat flap - the hole being seales around inthe same way as the edges. I |had this done for a kitchen window 15 years ago to cope with an |extractor fan.

I know of an extractor fan in a double glazed window, not mine, which is sealed with black gunk, and seems to work fine, after a year. Maybe this could be done with a Cat flap.

Our cat flap is in the plastic panel at the side of the door.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

That's what I did - took a couple of hours to knock through and line with hardboard but easy to fill in if we ever decide to move house. Also did one for a friend a few years ago and still going strong. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

See the uk.d-i-y FAQ:

Lobster

The message from "Jonathan Pearson" contains these words:

Oh, I don't doubt that it can be done, just that it can be done to an existing panel, which is what I read from the OP.

Reply to
Guy King

It could be that you have to "prise up" a rubber gasket, with something like a putty knife (be careful not to cut the gasket) and fiddle about sliding parts around to get the pane out.

That's a bit expensive unless it's for the whole job!

I'd be inclined to remove the unit, and either buy or get a replacement single pane and cut a hole in it (or get a glazier to do that) for the cat-flap, then replace the single pane in the door with a spacer to take up the room that has been occupied by the D/G unit.

Reply to
Chris Bacon