Moggie in a flap!..

Anyone have any experience of those microchip cat flaps the ones designed to only let your puss thru the door?.
And ones that make a better job of sealing it when it is closed.
Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:05:31 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Have a dig back through google in here. The "draught proof" cat flap has had reasonable discussion in the past. Ours, both of them in cascade from outside into porch and porch into utility room get blown open when the winds gets up... a 6" square hole don't half let a lot of cold air in. B-(
--
Cheers
Dave.

Our cats wouldn't use them. Every time they came close to the flap, it shouted CLICK! at them, they jumped back, stared for a while and then backed slowly away.
After about a week of opening doors for them, we gave up. :(

Never really had a problem with the standard Staywell types.
--
brianlj

On 18/12/2012 10:50, Brian L Johnson wrote:

I bloody do...
http://imageshack.us/a/img571/7408/img04921.jpg
...which explains why I'm not spending large amounts of dosh on a chip-controlled cat flap any time soon
David
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:05:31 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

We bought one about 18 months ago. Think it's the Pet Mate one (works via an RFID chip on the collar rather than the cat's own microchip).
Two reasons for not using the actual cat ID chip one: 1) It didn't have a way of restricting 'out' as well as 'in'. They said an add-on was coming 'soon' but the company had just been taken over and I wasn't able to wait. 2) The only competitor (or it might have been that one too) was closely associated with someone I'd seen on Usenet who was fundamentally useless.
It works well. The user interface is heavily modal, and sucks like most of these things. However, once set up, it just works. It has a clock so you can see the last time of passage (in or out) for up to 7 cats, and it has a display to show the current in/out status of 3 cats (you can display the others via button pressing). Batteries last a year or so (4AA cells).
It was about £100, with two tags. Spare tags are around a tenner.
Reasonably draught proof. Our 10 year old cat was never bothered by the click as it turns on, or the whir as the lock is wound out or in. The younger cat was a kitten (never been out), and when eventually given her tag she took a couple of days and was fine too.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

It's a pity Brian Hanrahan is not still with us to do the commercial ;-)
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 14:46:27 +0000, Graham. wrote:

.-)
It's the PetPorte that I avoided because of the person who was distributing it...I remember now.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:27:11 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

I know exactly who you mean. He was just a 3rd party seller however and had nothing to do with the manufacturer. They, and others, sold it also.
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:09:06 -0800, Mathew Newton wrote:

I can't remember his name though!
The real problem was the other one, though. We needed to control 'out' as well as 'in' and the add-on for that was vapourware.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:32:33 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

James Winsoar.

Yes. There was also going to be a PC interface to enabling monitoring of who was in/out, and presumably control it also but I suspect all those plans went astray once they were bought out.
Mathew
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:36:45 -0800, Mathew Newton wrote:

That's it!

I tried to get hold of a release date just after the buyout. Anyway, the Pet Mate one worked well, so no matter.
We did lose one tag (but we lost the cat and collar too). She was missing for eight weeks, having gone out at 4.20 a.m. one morning (as the flap told us). Lost collar soon after, was taken in, her chip didn't scan, kept for a while, vaccinated, and eventually taken in for spaying. This time the chip scanned (I suspect because she kept still under the anaesthetic) and we got her back the same day.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
If you need a clue, I counted them all out....
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bob Eager" < snipped-for-privacy@eager.cx> wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:

My cat flap is supposed to be allow me to manually turn a dial that allows
a) open and close at will b) in only c) out only d) locked.
Whan I used option b as it was time for a trip to the vets the cat just ripped the cat flap from the door and went out. Mind you last summer when the door was open the cat used to climb through the cat flap before leaving through the open door!
--
Adam

Now that is cantankerous cat behaviour, you have to admire their attitude.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" < snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Which is the smartest cat?
I have two cats. One sits at the food dish and crys when it is hungry and the other one sits and crys at the cupboard the cat food tins are kept in when it is hungry.
Adam
Brian Gaff wrote:

The one that posts the CCTV videos to Youtube...
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:31:40 +0000, ARW wrote:

That'sd what we had. The catches (Pet Mate use red and green catches) are easily replaceable.
We got the electronic one as we wanted to let one cat out - but not the other.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 18/12/2012 10:05, tony sayer wrote:

Yes. Works very well at keeping the neighbouring bullies out. Took our mog a little while to get used to it, but no problem now. The first one went wrong, but they sent me a replacement unit without any question.
--
/Simon

We simply have a large dog as well as three cats, no intruders except our own chickens occasionally if the door is open.
--
Chris Green

You will probably find the first one was not immune to bad tempered moggy spray.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active