Moggie in a flap!..

The two I've seen that work on the cats' own ID chips are PetPorte and Sureflap. I think PetPorte have been bought by Staywell now. We went for a Sureflap because the PetPorte has a ruddy great lump sticking out of it that houses the sensor etc, and also because it is primarily mains operated (albeit with battery backup), and I didn't fancy having a cable trailing from the door to a wallwart. The Sureflap is battery operated, and I've been extremely happy with it. The batteries seem to last close to a year (4 x AA, I usually use Maplin's ones), and that is with 3 cats who all go in and out quite frequently. The wind can't blow it open because of the sensor operated catch, however I have noticed once or twice that if the cat enters very slowly, and their tail cushions the drop of the door, it doesn't have enough mass to go past the catch and close properly.
Cheers, danjimian

The batteries in our Sureflap last about three months because one of our two cats sits in front of it looking through it and constantly triggers the switch - curse him.
Jonathan
danjimian wrote:

Thanks for that info. Last week I was awoken at 4am when a cat that had come in through my cat flap was attacked by my cat. The visitor had run through the house and was trying to get out of the letterbox on the front door.
I might get one to save the cats from my cat.
--
Adam

Maybe you need a manx cat to avoid the tail issue.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" < snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
On 18/12/2012 10:05, tony sayer wrote:

I have the Pet Porte microchip flap, as does my Mom. They both predate Staywell buying the company. They're great, work very well, easy to fit (requiring only a slight bit of cutting where they replaced other flaps) and have battery backup in case the power fails. I've had two minor issues- a local cat, trying to get in, unhooked the draught excluder strip, jamming the door once, and I also had to grease the door pivot a while ago- but then flap is probably 3 years old now, and my elderly cat manages with it fine. It also resisted the brute force attack by another local cat with no damage, which the old Staywell infra-red one didn't.
Someone else with the same catflap did a very good writeup of his experiences:
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/house/catflap /
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:38:52 PM UTC, Chris Bartram wrote:

Ah, thank you very much sir! ;-)
I'd have to echo your positive experiences with the Pet Porte. The above install was at our old house and we've since moved us and it into our new one with a similar in-wall installation.
The flap continues to function perfectly and the customer service from Pet Porte regarding a suspected problem was absolutely excellent - they didn't hesitate to send out a completely new flap when ours was suspected as being faulty. Whilst Staywell have now bought the company I don't have concerns that this will change as their customer service was also very good (I've lost count of the number of replacment PCBs they sent for an IR catflap over the years - the quality was frankly appalling).
Mathew
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:38:52 +0000, Chris Bartram

How draughty are these things?
tony sayer wrote:

We have a Sureflap one that works off the cats' microchips. For some reason the cats are happy to use it to come in, but (typical of cats) will often pester to be let out via the door. However, that's not the fault of the catflap and they will go out that way if I ignore them.
Ours is installed into a wall, so it's got a proper tunnel on the outside of the door rather than the relatively thin affair you'd get in a door, but the company sells tunnel pieces that fit nicely onto the main unit. It also opens onto a relatively sheltered area so I doubt if we'd even notice wind, not that the wind can open it without a suitable microchip.
The 'anything out' is touted as a feature so that should something manage to get in by tailgating another cat, it is able to get out again.
Dave

You could always make your own cat facial recognition cat flap...
http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Control/flo_control.htm
the site is old.. i read about first it back in 2007 or so, and i am getting some photo's and 'next' icons missing, but can still navigate the site to see how they did it.... i keep saying i'll make something similar, as one of our cats is a bugger for bringing mice in to play with at about 3am.
On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:11:23 +0000, Gazz wrote:

Or you could try to produce the chromatically selective cat flap (and 1000 Megaton Earth-Orbital peace-keeping bomb) that Arthur Pedrick patented: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Paul_Pedrick#Chromatically_selective_cat_flap>

Had a Petporte one which lasted just over a year before dying. Had lots of clever options like becoming in-only at dusk and usefully ran from a wallwart but seemed cheaply made with the circuit board & workings unprotected under the cover.
Now have a Sure Flap which has just the basic options, only runs on batteries but which is much more solid.
Chip programming is easy on both and recognition is reliable though both say you should clean around the tunnel area regularly.
Our cats both got used to the click really quickly. In terms of draught-proofing since the flap is locked unless a cat is passing through the flap is held closed and minimises draughts.
--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:06:26 +0000, usenet2012 wrote:

Looking at the pictures of the SureFlap is that a brush strip around the door edge?
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes. The first version didn't have that & did leak air. I bought direct from them to ensure I got the updated version.
--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like we'll investigate the Sureflap a bit further..
Cheers...
--
Tony Sayer

On 20/12/12 11:20, tony sayer wrote:

We have a Sureflap, and we're happy with it: it opens when it should and not when it shouldn't, and it feels robust. It's in a cool area already (an outhouse/back conservatory) so I'm not sure about the draughtiness, but it looks about as snugly fitting as you could reasonably expect, given that it has got to be openable by a cat.
Just one thing: it's not enormously big. Probably OK for all small to medium size cats, but if you have a particularly large cat then obviously check he/she will go through it first.