Ridgid Clearance Prices at the Borg

Page 7 of 7  
Amen!

do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

Strange how a large number of these companies seem to post a loss and then reward the management by giving them million dollar bonuses (firing a few workers to pay for it of course). Apparently, some managers don't have to go to high school.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Whatever the market will bear. Do I think many workers should be satisfied with $15 an hour, the answer is absolutely. That's around 30k per year which is within the median standard of living in many areas. Of course, you adjust that for local conditions.
The problem is when you have union dock workers making $120k a year complaining that they're not making enough.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I omitted it in this post. My fault but if you look back in the thread you will see what I was talking about. $15.00 a day was the amount in question.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You can't live on $15 a day in the US. You might be able to elsewhere. No one is asking anyone to accept $15 a day in the US though, so it's a moot point.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sure they are. They keep saying that we have to be competitive to keep manufacturing in this country. Competing against the Chinese? $15.00 a day.

wrote: > No one is asking anyone to accept $15 a day in the US

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

There are many additional costs to doing business overseas beyond what you pay the workers so it all balances out in the end. The US-based company can probably afford to pay their workers $15/hr for the same cost as they could at $15/day in China. Sure, you can make a car cheaply in China, but you're not going to find an American buyer for a car that's in China, you have to ship it. That raises the costs dramatically.
If the American worker is satisfied with $15/hr, the chances of the company going offshore are much less than if they start demanding $20 or more per hour and the workers need to understand that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 09:55:00 GMT, Brian Henderson
It does if you're a logger.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Or an orchard owner.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
While I tend to agree with you on most of your comments, I think you're wrong on the car thing. Personally, I never buy strictly on price (though do look for value, best bang for the buck, etc.), and don't think the American manufacturers have achieved the quality of some of the foreign makes. Probably because they don't feel the need to for reasons such as folks will buy American just because it's American, they'll get bailed out by the government if things get too bad, etc. Seems the American manufacturers ahven't really tried to produce the BEST product but ride on the coattails such as I mentioned above.
I'm never touching another American vehicle, barring a change in their philosophy. Had my experience with Ford who treats their customers like $hit. No thank you.
Renata
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
says...

Same experience, same conclusion. I remain persuadable, but I'll never buy another American automobile until there's ample evidence that they aren't generally built like crap.
It's not the moral duty of the consumer to pay extra for an article to keep American workers afloat. Rather, it's the moral duty of the worker (who has a family to support, etc. -- just like the consumer) to find himself a as secure and remunerative a job as he can. That means being prepared to retrain, relocate, and adapt to stay abreast of the job market. Nobody has a "right" to a living cranking out widgets when because of cost or quality those widgets are no longer in demand.
Cheers, Abe
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

The problem isn't just one of cost, but one of quality. If you buy a Ford that breaks down every other week or a Toyota that is reliable, which are you going to buy? My wife's American-built car is just over 2 years old. It's been recalled by Ford twice, has had the transmission completely fail, the A/C compressor has failed, it's had nothing but trouble. Her family owned a 1987 Toyota that ran for over 250k miles, never once had a problem and is probably still running out there somewhere.
If American manufacturers produce crap at inflated prices, they don't deserve the business. My money goes where the quality and best value for the dollar is and more often than not, that's not to an American company. Even going off-shore for manufacturing won't solve basic design and planned obsolescence issues.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<delurk>
Does anyone know when we will start seeing the "new" Ridgid tools at HD?
I apologize if I posted this to the wrong group. Maybe it would have been more suited to rec.woodworking.politics......
Chris
</delurk>

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But that "someone" is only willing to pay that amount because they receive multiple millions in subsidies from the state and local governments. In Pittsburgh we recently blew up Three Rivers Stadium which was only 30 years old (and for which the outstanding bonds we taxpayers are on the hook for still exceed the original cost to build the thing). We then built 2 stadiums and gave one to the Pirates and one to the Steelers. Not only did we pay to build them, we let the teams sell the naming rights and pocket the millions from it. We don't even get any money when the stadiums are used for concerts and truck pulls - the team owners get all the revenues. That my friend is indeed Socialism. More appropriately it is good old Roman "bread and Circuses" (emphasis on the Circuses). Hell, we even held a referendum and voted against it and the politicians pushed them through another way. So now we are paying for several hundred millions in new bonds (about $400 million if I remember correctly) and still on the hook for $35 million or so in bonds outstanding for Three Rivers Stadium. Clearly, without all of that largess, the Steelers and especially the Pirates could not pay their players like they do to play childrens' games.
Dave Hall
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sound like Seattle. "> But that "someone" is only willing to pay that amount because they receive

years old

still
gave
them,
We
against
paying
remember
outstanding for

and
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dave Hall writes:

Not just sports, though...what I do like about all this is the emphasis by the pols on keeping costs "within reason." Must relate to hundred buck upper tier tickets.
Businesses of all kinds get the same kinds of deals on the premise, and often on their promise, that it will bring jobs to the area. They guarantee to do such and thus, and the city/county/state combine to provide acreage, an immense high tech building, specific water delivery and sewage removal, abatement of taxes for a decade and much else. The company comes, opens, brings half as many jobs as promised and moves elsewhere as soon as the tax abatements run out.
It is not socialism, though. It's basically theft, and it's also business as usual.
Charlie Self
"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things." Dan Quayle, 11/30/88
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.