12" Planer Deal at Orange Borg?

I'm just about to purchase a planer. I was going to get the RIDGID

13", but they just put the Delta TP300 on for $199 (CDN), that would be about $ .50 US. I know the RIDGID is a better machine with better features, but diff is about $300.

I'll be using mostly hardwoods and am pretty much a neophite. Obviosly I'd like to be $300 richer, but I have a feeling I'd regret it. Your thoughts?

Reply to
mrcomp_ca

The Delta TP300 will make a good job but the head cannot be fixed. So this model will probably make some snip at the beginning and the end of each board. If you accept this problem it is a good choice for you. However, I suggest you to consider the model TP305 (12 1/2''). The head can be fixed and the snip problem is rare (except when your boards are not straigth). I use an identical model (22-560) and I am very satisfied of it. I use it for hardwood often without problem. The blades are EASY to chance but disposable. I think it is now available for 300$can.

I don't really know the RIDGID model by I know it is more heavy (85 lbs compared to 62 lbs for Delta). So if you wish to move it often, maybe it is not a got choice.

S.B.

"mrcomp_ca" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SBO

I have the exact same planer. The TP300 is a refurbished 22-560. I bought mine a year ago on eBay from Woodworkers Supply for $175 including shipping. Like it a lot, but I've had trouble trying to remove the blades to turn them around. I still haven't done it. Just bought a honer for the blade. Hope that works. When I first got it...I'll bet I ran every piece of scrap I had through it. :-) Good luck. Joe

mrcomp_ca wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

You're right about the snipe on both ends, SBO. I don't mind and the price was right with no performance complaints.

Reply to
C & M

Why dontcha look for the Delta TP400 12 1/2. I got one for 329 Cdn stand incl, and Ive seen them for 299 on sale. I've put hundreds of feet through both models. The extra 100 is worth it IMHO for the cutter lock, better infeed tables, etc.

Reply to
Ken