Thanks in advance,

David

Reply to
David_J_Griffiths at yahoo.com

bought, a 12" DeWalt. I have been very happy with it from cutting larger boards to small stuff. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Paul O.

Never tried the other brand, but my DeWalt is proving to be a winner. Accurate, reliable, powerful. Does everything I ask it to do. Last year DeWalt was giving a ROS with the saw. Maybe you'll get lucky and find an old one in stock someplace. HD had the sander right in the box, others you had to send in a coupon. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Here's a detailed review of the Bosch 3912 that you might find helpful.

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- HyLoft Overhead Storage System

- Lumber Wizard Metal Detector

- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

Woodcrafter

The first (and only) Dewalt tool I own is the 12"CMS...a "rebuild". As I understand things, quite a few of the new machines go back for "rebuild", hence the wide availability on the reconditioned market. Good news is the rebuild outfit seems to do better than factory and I have no problems with the tool after 2 years of really hard use. Light weight, easy to keep adjusted on the 90' cuts and along the miter.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:n4dVc.4534$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

I've had the same experience Ed reports. No problems with the 705 that weren't user error...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I have the Porter Cable for $299. We used it to frame a lot of a Habitat for Humanity home. It also gets a lot of use in my shop. I love it to death. If you gave me $300 to buy a 12" CMS, the Porter Cable is what I'd come home with.

Now I just need to get a Chopmaster blade for it...

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

I love my DeWalt 705. Dead on accurate, easy to adjust, and solid as a rock. The tilt mechanism is not so easy, but thankfully I don't use compound angles frequently.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, I am not that familiar with the 36-312, but I have owned the 36-235

12" saw for almost 5 years and have been satisfied (at the time of purchase it was about $289). It has been through a full basement finish including trim, and construction of a full, wet bar. It has also helped with construction of several other cabinets, tables and a garage and is doing just fine.

It does look a little different than the 36-312. The miter lock and compound adjustment are a little different. Motor case looks very similar. After five years I only have two concerns with the older Delta:\

1) The dust collection bag arrangement sucks. It might be better with an active collector.

2) After using it for awhile, it seemed like the miter lock might be the weak point and wear out. But, after 5 years it still works fine (probably ought to quit worrying - huh?)

Watch out though. Delta has been offering some VERY CHEAP 10' miter only saws through Sears. One caught my eye as a potential Christmas gift a few weeks ago. After looking at it (about $50) I decided I couldn't bring myself to even give it away. If Delta is doing this with lower level machines -- who knows?

Reply to
RonB

My local Lowe's has the Delta TwinLaser 12" compound saw that was originally $300 for $229. My personal preference would be for a double-bevel saw, though. Lowe's has the DeWalt 12" double-bevel for like $350. The new Delta with the vertical motor boasts some very impressive capacities for $400, also. Amazon.com had the Hitachi 10" slider (a double-bevel saw) for $399 a while ago. My latest flyer has it a little higher, I think.

If you're looking to keep the cost down, check your Lowe's for the clearance TwinLaser. It's a better saw than the $199, which is a ShopMaster?? The first time you have to flip a board around in some funky orientation, you'll want the double-bevel saw, though. I am actually in the market myself. I almost bought the $229 Delta, but I figured I'd regret it later, so I'm looking around for a deal, too.

Hope this helped,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz