Drill driver (screwdriver) bits

The Bosch bits sold at the blue borg seem to hold up pretty well for me.

Reply to
Eugene

Does anyone have a preference for drill driver bits, specifically Robertson #2. I've been driving quite a few screws the last few days and I've gone through a box of those damn Vermont American bits. Some screws seem better than others, but overall the bit seems just a tad too small for most screws. After about 10 screws the bit starts to get rounded off and the screw heads start to look like the Star of David. I'm driving these into spruce with a small pilot hole, so nothing too strenuous. I've had to finish off quite a few screws by hand, as my screwdriver grips better and my 14.4 drill is a little wimpy for the longer screws.

I don't know if it's the bits (likely), the screws or if my technique is a contributing factor. I tried to drill out one of my Star or David screws and all I did was melt the drill bit, so the screws are plenty tough. BTW, be careful drilling screws out of Particle Board, almost had a nice little fire going. :) I was sure relieved that I did not have to throw water on it and swell up my Particle Board.

Reply to
Bill Stock

I try not to be a tool snob, but IMHO, Vermont American products are somewhere below whale crap and that is at the bottom of the ocean.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Get you some McFeeley bits. I have never worn one of those out. Are you sure you should not be using a #3?

Reply to
Leon

"Bill Stock" wrote in news:OvdVc.1823722$ snipped-for-privacy@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Quite a few of us, myself included, have had excellent results with the products McFeeley's sells.

And, to play a familiar tune, have you asked your local, professional hardware store proprietor for the best he can recommend? Doesn't always work, but in my case, it usually does. I can't imagine that his 'trade customers' put up with crap for very long.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Thanks. Don't have the Blue BORGs up here. Do have a Cadmium Yellow one though. :)

Reply to
Bill Stock

Apparently.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Believe me I was beginning to think so, but the screwdriver is a #2. Bits are #junk.

Reply to
Bill Stock

I paid way too much (I thought) for a handful of green (#1) and red (#2) Robertson (square drive) bits from McFeeley's and I'm still on the first of each (four years now!!).

Those suckers just don't wear out!

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Avoid the VA bits...they are crap & probably your main problem. Also avoid no name or bargain bits, the Makita bits we sell hold up very well....if 'exchange a blade' is in your area some of them provide a great selection of very good quality driver bits as well.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

I'll second what Rob said. McFeeley's bits are the way to go. Love their screws too.

Reply to
Bryan Berguson

I got mine from Lee Valley. The first one lasted me about two years..-- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill Stock" wrote in news:OvdVc.1823722$ snipped-for-privacy@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

I don't know if they still stock them, but House of Tools used to carry Robertson brand bits (the ones with the hardened steel inserts). They have lasted forever.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Try picking up some wax and coat them as your drilling them into you wood

Reply to
JuiceofChicago

I seem to have this problem only when driving exterior combination drive screws (the screws that can be driven with a #2p or a square drive bit). If you are using these type screws a there is special bit - called a posidrive- that has both features of a square drive and #2p. It works best. Don't forget to lube the screws-bath soap will work in a pinch. Your 14.4 will perform much better. - dave

Reply to
<daveandfritzi

Soap is hydroscopic, and will attract and hold WATER on the screw, so it is not really a good lube for screws that can rust. A bit of paste wax like Johnson's is a better choice unless using galv or SS or brass screws

John

Reply to
John