Help setting knives on Delta 12" planer

I inherited my Dad's old planer. Got the online manual from Delta's site. However, I did not find (or recognize it) the knife setting gauge while packing and moving the tools. I am in the process of changing the knives, but seem to be having a lot of trouble getting the depth set correctly. Too much knife and the rollers don't feed, not enough knife and the rollers feed but the planer doesn't cut. I plan to order a replacement gauge next week, but would like to try it out tomorrow if possible.

Anybody know how much blade should be exposed past the cutter head???

TIA - Roy put an RP in front of my reply-to address for email. Replies need to put RP in front of the number on my email in an effort to cut down on spam.

Roy Parker

Reply to
Roy

OK, I'm a little confused. You said it was an "old" planer but Delta didn't make a 12" in the "old" days. At the risk of being way off base and thinking that maybe you actually meant a 13" planer, the real kind, not a lunch box model, I've pirated some information from Dave Flemming.

Various Settings for Planer Knives and Rollers Submitted by Dave Fleming

These settings work for all planers, not just Parks.

Planer: Lower bed and place DI, Dial Indicator, on center platen with contactpoint in " UP" position. Find the lowest point of the knife (cutting circle) and set the dial on zero.

** See note ** below.

  1. Top Infeed Roll Move Indicator under top infeed roll and adjust roll .050" below cutting circle.

2.Chipbreaker Move Indicator under chip breaker and adjust chip breaker .020" above the cutting circle.

  1. Pressure Bar Move Indicator under the pressure bar and adjust pressure bar about .002" above cutting circle.

  2. Top Out feed Roll Move Indicator under the top out feed roll and adjust roll to .020" below the cutting circle.

  1. Bottom Rolls Set DI, Dial Indicator, on center platen with contact point in "Down" position and set dial at zero.

6.Bottom Infeed Roll Move Indicator over bottom infeed roll and adjust roll .006" above platen.

  1. Bottom Out feed Roll Move Indicator over bottom out feed roll and adjust roll .006" above platen

Bottom Roll Settings may have to be increased to about .012" above platen to feed very rough stock.

** note** These settings are based on moving the DI, Dial Indicator, from side to side to determine the parallelism of the knife or roller to the platen.

Knife Height For Both Planer and Jointer

Maximum Height of Knife Above Cutter head is .100" for HSS Knives Maximum Height of Knife Above Cutter head is between .031" and .039" for TCT knives.

****** All Settings May Have To Be Adjusted ( +/-) Depending Upon Machine And Wood Specie Being Machined.

****** Note: it is best to check the relationship between the cutterhead itself and the table/platen first just to make sure they are parallel to each other before proceeding to set the knives themselves.

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Thank you, sir. It is indeed a Delta lunch box model, 22-540 to be specific. However I think the directions you supplied triggered a way to solve the problem. I will add some shim stock of about

0.030 to both rollers, run a straight edge across them, then adjust the knives to touch the straight edge and give it a go. If that is not enough, I'll try it at 0.050, and if too much drop back to 0.015 shims. Sooner or later I'll stumble across the correct setting.

Much obliged for the help!

Roy

Replies need to put RP in front of the number on my email in an effort to cut down on spam.

Roy Parker

Reply to
Roy

and ff might be useful.