Delta 12 1/2" planer (Series 2000)

Well I purchased the planer last year.. in July to be exact. Worked great, and all that.

About a month or so ago, I went to use it, and as the board was going thru, it was clunking. I never thought much about it at the time.

This weekend, I stared it up again, and it started doing the same thing again. I turned it off, cranked the head all the way up, and inspected the infeed roller. A big chunk missing out of the middle of it. Now I know what causes the infeed roller to get eaten up, and i am very carefull about taking shallow cuts to avoid this. I never saw any part of the roller come out in the shavings.

Anyways, its supposed to have a lifetime warranty, but when I called the local authorized repair place, they told me it wouldnt be covered becasue the only thing that would do it is taking too much off on a cut. As I stated, I am well aware of this, and am very wary of doing it. I think it was a defect, but have no way to prove it.

They have me over a barrel, so I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience, and if anyone could ball park what its going to cost for a new roller.

Thanks

Reply to
js

I think my next step would be to contact the Customer Service folks at Delta.

For technical assistance or service parts: USA - (800) 223-7278

Have you read through your warrantee? Does it specifically exclude that particular part as it "can only be damaged by taking too deep a cut"? The _only_ part in their product that is perfect in every way and has _never_ failed due to manufacturer defect is that one part? Yeah, right! Of course, you cannot prove there was a defect in their part. How can they prove you were at fault by cutting too deeply? (you don't have a brother-in-law, son or neighborhood "pal" who may have used it when you were not looking, do you?) I think your local service place is simply passing the buck. Delta has a good rep. to maintain and, hopefully, their Customer Service people have a better understanding of that the local authorized repair center. If you still get a resounding "NO" from Customer Service, asked to be kicked up a level to the Supervisor. If the Super can't/won't help you, ask to speak the his superior. Keep going on up until you get to the top. Be cool and polite. You will have to retell the whole story at each level but I think you will find someone who would rather get you that right parts to repair your Delta than have you switching over to something in DeWalt yellow.

You might let them know that your buddies on the internet are interested in the outcome of your situation. Keep us posted!

Best wishes, DexAZ SS MK-V DeWalt DW735 Delta SS250

Reply to
DexAZ

Thanks for the vote of confidance. Yeah I am the only one that uses anything in my shop, so it would have had to have happened when I was using it.

I did call Delta service, And a nice gentleman in the Montreal customer service call center advised me to take the planer to the dealer, and ask that it be fixed under warranty. And if the guy had a problem with that, to call him directly. He gave me his name and the whole shooting match.

So far, so good. I'll let everyone know how I make out when I take it in tomorrow.

Reply to
js

The other way to chew an infeed roller is to let the outboard end of the board droop as you feed it in (bad for snipe too)

Andy Dingley