Ridgid Clearance Prices at the Borg

Rick Chamberlain responds:

OK. You mean Stanley wouldn't move off-shore, nor would Black & Decker, among just a couple?

There are no unions where these companies go, but the rate of pay offered to locals is so much higher than the going rate for anyone, the local people win nicely, the company stockholders get their huge increases, and the prices remain steady, while the American worker is screwed.

Again. Read up on the history of the labor movement.

Charlie Self

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

As a minute example - have you seen the English on those ATMs programmed offshore (The question that you think wants a "yes", really wants a "No", for example)? I know, I know, it's their technical proficiency that is so far superior to ours, right?

Renata

--snip--

(no stain for email)

Reply to
Renata

Nothing to do with the multi million (hundred million, actually) dollar compensation that the CEOs and their ilk make, right (that exceeds all(?) other civilized nations mgmt compensation, particulary when measured as a percent or multiple of the peons' wages).

Renata

--snip--

(no stain for email)

Reply to
Renata

Gotta make a couple of connections, I guess. Involves some Econ 050 realities to which you, as a self, and oft-professed "liberal" my not be privy.

If service is provided gratis to some, but has actual cost for all, there must be some method for recouping the difference. You can't recoup it from those with whom you have a contract to deliver for a price, you can't turn away the poor, so you have only one place to go. Is that clear enough? In government, of course, you extract the difference from those who have the highest dollar to vote ratio - taxing the rich - but you can't do it here, so you resort to other sleight-of hand.

For instance, the medical types try to keep the costs to non-insured people down (or hidden) by performing the limit of procedures and tests allowed by insurance on those with it. The ED is a great place to see dollars whisked away. If nursing and physician care were billed elsewhere at ED rates, well, there would be no way for anyone to pay. Vehicular trauma is a great place to get money, because everybody has to have auto insurance. But, if you're beginning to make the connection you should have made before, you'll know that someone must pay for this as well, at a higher rate than the actual value of service.

Now, to address _your_ petulant babbling, the "deals" are a fraud, just like the manufacturers' suggested retail price of tools. What's collected is the value, the rest is a price. Whenever I see hospitals complaining that insurance companies or the Feds don't cover the actual cost of service, I ask myself why hospitals, at least in our area, don't self-insure, but buy health plans. If you'd like to think, ponder that one.

Reply to
George

Kinda makes one wonder what motivates management....guess it's altruism, sure couldn't be greed, apparently that's only a vice shared by the people who do the actual work.

It's good to know that "management" doesn't suffer from greedy tendencies. Those CEO's with their million dollar salary packages are really just misunderstood humanitarians...

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

Yep, it's generally rewarded with a greater workload.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

My observation is that whatever they may lack in the use of the english language or technical proficiency is more than offset by their lower pay - the ultimate decision-maker ;-)

Reply to
Tom Bergman

That's one perspective. Another is that they're smart enough to group together and hire professional negotiators to change the power balance in the negotiation such that they can leverage more out of the bargain.

From this viewpoint, the one posters' example of janitors making 3x the salaries of the engineer aren't so stupid after all. I don't care what their individual negotiation skills may be, no one could negotiate an *unreasonably* high salary to collect trash; but as a group that becomes another matter; hand it to the janitors for being so smart. Sounds like the brilliant, benevolent, do-no-wrong management are the ones lacking negotiation skills in this example.

Reply to
Tom Bergman

Not much, and whether executive salaries are higher in the US than elsewhere is irrelevant. So are worker salaries -- that's why outsourcing occurs. If the president of an S&P 500 company employing

25,000 earns a thousand times what an average worker makes, it's still small potatoes as a fraction of the company's aggregate personnel budget.

If you must find someone to blame for outsourcing, it might be all those greedy stockholders who selfishly want to actually earn some money on their investment rather than see the business run as a sort of social service.

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

How about 320,000 time the salary of the peon, and that was just his 16 million dollar bonus.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Does anyone know when we will start seeing the "new" Ridgid tools at HD?

I apologize if I posted this to the wrong group. Maybe it would have been more suited to rec.woodworking.politics......

Chris

Reply to
Gooseman

Think about the dynamics of the situation. What you are saying makes no sense from a practical or theoretical standpoint.

Reply to
ATP

The point is that insurance companies, representing large numbers of patients, have negotiating power and can set the reimbursable allowances as low as the market will bear. A single patient who is stricken by some random accident or illness has no real negotiating power.

Reply to
ATP

Yep, if you want to get something done, give it to someone who's busy.

Reply to
Joe28

Absolutely not. While unionized workers make up only a small percentage of the total, unions work hard to make sure only their own members can get work. In California, for example, the plumber's union has made it a requirement that all workers on a government or state job must be paid union wages, whether or not they are in the union. Union wages are 50% above the usual wage which certainly isn't cheap to begin with (normally they make about $20 an hour, union wages are $30 an hour and more). No wonder California is going bankrupt, these ridiculous costs are passed along to the state which has to pay higher costs for work that is no better than non-union work.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

The median home price in California, from a study I saw a couple days ago, is $349k. In order to afford the median home, you need to make $115k or more.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

There are an awful lot of people out there who are willing to pick up your garbage for a small fraction of what unionized workers make. If every garbageman in the country walked off the job, we could replace them with people who work harder, care more and cost less.

I don't see that as a bad thing.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Baseball and other professional sports is an example of unions gone wild though. If the unions don't like something, everyone goes on strike and that's the end of the season.

Sports players are paid ludicrous salaries anyhow. Nobody deserves $20 million to hit a ball and run in a circle.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Nothing is stopping these companies from moving off-shore now. They can fire all of their union or non-union workers and close their factories. Nobody can say a damn thing about it either.

Reply to
Brian Henderson