Question for anyone owning a Grizzly G0555 14" bandsaw

I just picked up my bandsaw at the local trucking depot but have not assembled it yet. I also ordered and have received the riser block kit. I assume when I assemble the bandsaw and stand I should also put in the riser block (i.e., it is always on the bandsaw) rather than installing it when I have some resawing to do of bigger material and removing it when I am done. That seems like it would be a big hassle. The only reason I can think of to have it only only during resawing is if the riser block and longer saw blade has some negative effect when I am using the saw for something other than resawing which in my case will be most of the time. Does that sound right? This is my first bandsaw so I want to save myself some goofs if I can.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

AFAIAC(oncerned) this is not a Grizz-specific query/issue.

If you have the riser block coming, wait and assemble it once't and be done--there's absolutely no reason to ever remove it.

I'd see no reason whatsoever to remove it unless it is so poorly constructed the saw won't hold tension with it in place in which case it won't be of any value, anyway (and I've heard nothing but good re: GrizGreen; that's simply a general observation).

--

Reply to
dpb

Yup. And make sure you have the longer blade which is needed when using the riser block.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Thanks. I already have the riser block and it does come with the longer blade. Thanks for confirming my assumption that I should assemble it at the same time as I assemble the band saw.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

The riser block kit is not something that installs and removes quickly. Just getting the wheels co-planer after assembly was a major pain, especially since I was working alone and the alignment pins/holes were slightly off. It's not something I would care to do more than once.

Reply to
Nova

Ditto. Speaking of co-planer wheels, you might find this information useful while assembling and adjusting your saw. It applys to just about all common 14" bandsaws:

Luck.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Plan on the blade that comes with it to be a piece of crap. Save yourself some headaches wondering if something is wrong with your setup and get a decent blade right away.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Dump that blade and get a Woodslicer blade. You won't regret it.

dadiOH

woodworking show last winter. The guy also recommended Jet silicon steel blades in general (not specifically for resawing). For example:

experience with these?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

No but I think 3/4" is too wide for the saw. TPI and tooth shape are similar too IIRC.

The only other blade I have used of that ilk is the Timber Wolf...tried it once, took it off, put it away, never used it again.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've had mine since it was first released and have had no problems with the riser. I also bought a 3/4" blade and a stronger tension spring but after a few tries gave up on the 3/4.

I use a Timberwolf 1/2" blade for resawing and have had no problems at all. I use an 1/8" blade for scrollwork and that also works like a charm.

It's a great saw but get good blades.

Can't speak to the newer machines but the early models had a very weak tension spring. Got a replacement from an outfit in Florida - have drawn a complete blank on the name - hopefully someone will chime in - but if you need a replacement spring, that's the place to go.

Have fun!

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron
[...snip...] I have the same bandsaw and riser block. The blade shipped with the riser block never did track correctly but I have had no problems with other better quality blades.
Reply to
Jim Weisgram

OK, I'll throw in my 2 bits. Caught my eye because I just pulled my G0555 out from the wall and did some cutting this afternoon. I got mine shortly after they came out, went to Williamsport PA store for it. Got the riser with it, but assembled w/o it just to see how it acted, did fine! Then put on riser kit, and couldn't get the blade on! Called Griz, we cussed and discussed it, they sent me another blade, as the original was apparently about 1/2" too short. Replacement blade worked just fine. I've done a little resawing of 10-11" stuff, worked fine even with the Griz 3/4" blade, and didn't even have any noticeable drift. I realize this was mostly dumb luck and a decent machine from the git-go, as I didn't really do any setup on it. Now that it's been sitting idle for about 3 yrs, it seems to have aquired a tiny bit of drift, so I'm gonna have to check into it.

All in all, I've been perfectly happy with the saw, and left the riser on it ever since I installed it.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie