Using a Senco SC2 corrugated fastener gun

I picked one up on eBay for cheap and am curious about best use practices. If I'm joining 3/4" stock should I be using the shortest fasteners - the 1/4" ones, or can I use as big a one as won't shoot through the other side? I've got the gun, but no fasteners yet. I'm gong to try it out on a bunch of simple frames and I'm wondering which ones to get - they're pretty pricey so I want to get the right size. Thanks much.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Not an expert, but a friend who owns a frame shop uses 1/4-3/8" fasteners - with glue. The moldings split when too long, and I think they're used to hold while till glue dries.

I would think the manufacturer would have charts available on their web site recommending specific types for differing woods/materials.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I use 3/8" for 11/16 PB butt joints. They will never make a clean entry. You'll be safe to use the 3/8 in 3/4 anything. I sometimes butt-join

1/2" MDF. Then I have to take a sandling block to smooth out the edge of the entry craters. Always shoot towards a very solid non-bouncy base. Those guns like to bounce and shoot more than one pogo-staccato-like.
Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks much. I'm probably going to pick the one in the middle and go with 3/8" to start. I ought to bite the bullet and get a box of each size and not worry about it the rest of my life, but times is tough!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Make sure they are the tapered ones.

Reply to
Robatoy

We use 3/8" but don't really use them much. You are right, you'll have the box of fasteners forever. Senco doesn't recommend using them for hardwood but if you stand on the gun you can drive them into about anything. We use them for simple frames like the attic access or mirror frames that get applied directly to the wall. One thing to watch for is make sure you have the fasteners in right-side-up....they make a hell of a mess if they happen to get in backwards.;-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.