? Putting Riser Block on Grizzly G0555

Just received my new Grizzly G0555 bandsaw along with the 6" riser block. Found no instructions anywhere for assembling the block to the saw. It comes with the saw assembled except for the table, fence and base. Do you just unbolt the saw where the block goes and then replace anything that comes with the block kit, then reassemble what you have taken apart? I have opened the packages and am going to put it all together tomorrow. Thanks for any assistance. CC

Reply to
C C

Check the manual - maybe it is covered there and that's why there are no included instructions

On my King 14" bandsaw, the riser block has positioning pins and a on the ends, and a label pointing the direction (up) for the block. As you guessed, that's pretty much it. You know the top of the saw is REAL HEAVY right? have some help doing it.

When I did mine - (two weeks ago) I took a straight edge and checked as a reference from wheel to wheel, and then put in the riser block and then checked the wheels with the straight edge again. It ended up being the same - then followed the set up from the Bandsaw book of Mark D.

Once I was confident that it was set up correctly after a few test cuts, I took a piece of 3/4" maple that was about 8" * 10" and resawed it into sheets abit less than 1/8" thick. I got 6 sheets - the first 3 are great, but the last 3 are thin at the top end. I think it is how I had supported the board, but I was told that my blade could be dull after the initial cuts.

Go to thier website and click on product manuals and Scroll downn to H3051 to download the instructions. most all manual are there in .PDF format.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

My suggestion; Check the alignment of the wheels, (Instruction in manual) before you remove the top section. After you have removed the top section. Place the block on the lower section, see if it moves (it might swing slightly as the lower dowel pin hole is slightly oversize), I think this to allow you to adjust if it misaligned after you have mate the two sections together. You can buy fenders' washer at an Ace hardware, should you need to shim the lower wheel. You will definitely need someone to help you. I use a chain block.

Good luck

Reply to
WD

I have been following the groups discussion about riser blocks. I have never understood why people buy modifications to make a tool heavier than it was designed for. The 14 inch imported saws are adequate at best. They do their job properly but need to be set up well and kept tuned and blades sharp. Did you ever notice that a 14 inch bandsaw weighs a lot less than a 16 inch? A 9 inch metal lathe weighs a lot less than a 10 inch. I have owned several bandsaws and find them to be one of the most finicky tools in the shop. It just seems to put a much longer blade in a machine is just asking for trouble. I was going to get a 14 inch but found a General International used for $650 and it had 10 new Timber Wolf blades and a rolling stand. Even though it is an import it weighs 450 pounds and cuts very well. Has any one had a good experience extending the 14 inch saw? Max )not trying to start a fight)

Reply to
max

max wrote: ...

Sure. My G0555 has a riser block. It is not a problem. I routinely resaw boards over 6" to make veneer for marquetry (about 1/16" thick). It's of course important to have fair alignment, use a reasonable blade (3tpi is good) and a decent resaw fence, and to keep the feed moderate and steady.

Reply to
n_perkins2003

I think this link contains the instructions you're looking for:

n_perkins2003

That is exactly what I need. The truck delivered it yesterday evening and with a friend and the drivers help, got it off the truck and into the garage. Rolled it easily down the driveway with a hand truck. Unpacked it to be sure all was well and pulled out the instruction manual. No mention of the install of the riser block, nor any with the riser block that was shipped separately and had arrived a couple days earlier. Thanks for the information. I will post about the assembly and how it cuts after getting it together tomorrow. CC

Reply to
C C

max. My thoughts on buying the riser block with the saw was because not too long ago I borrowed the use of a friends saw to make some cuts on a 6X6 that I was using for the base supports for a 12X20 shed I was building. The 6X just made it under the saw to be cut, and that limit made me want to have one with more capacity. As far as wanting a better or bigger saw goes, yes, that would be nice too, but we get what we can. Used equipment that is good, around here, is hard to come by. Lots of used smaller equipment around, or else worn out. Also there is the matter of size and how much I can get in my work area, a garage and a 1/2, that will give me the best value for the amount of space I have and how much I can allow for the cost of the equipment. The difference between the price of this saw and getting one that is 16 or 18" means I can get another tool I want later this coming year sometime. There is also the matter of weight. I have found that at 59 and getting older.. I am less able to comfortably work with heavy items by myself. (The mobile base from Amizon is on order and not here yet) I could have waited till I could afford larger and better.. but how long does one wait till the waiting game is over and we ended up still waiting or, finally get the ultimate tool and can no longer use it because we are now too old. CC

Reply to
C C

Also the fact that a 14 in. bandsaw should be more accurate than an 18 in for smaller blades, due to crowning on the wheels. This I gathered from American Woodworker magazine reviews, and confirmed with a phone call to Grizzly tech support. Like it or not, if work varies from the detailed to heavy work, the proper tools may be 2 Bandsaws. With most of us not in a position to do that, we choose the best we can and compensate (like with riser blocks) for the other occassional use. My G0555 arrived yesterday and is not yet put together, riser block arrived earlier this week.

Dave

,
Reply to
Cox West

I just got my G0555 last week with the riser block as well. The riser came with the instruction sheet, which was packaged in a bag with some of the parts. Its strange to see you get one shipped without it. Grizz seems to very detailed about packaging these days. Good thing these days most product manuals are online in their entirety. Putting on the riser is very simple and only took me about 20 minutes working by myself. Would have been quicker with someone to help hold it up when unbolting. You are right, just unbolt the upper section, pop in the riser, and rebolt with the longer bolt. Then install the longer guidepost assembly and blade guard. Voila. One thing to note is that you have to make a fairly large adjustment to the tensioning mechanism to use the longer blade. I couldn't get the new blade on until I moved the mechanism down a ways. Then it tensions up just fine.

Another thing to ponder : Before buying the G0555 I was reading a lot of the threads about 'G0555 vs. Jet', 'G0555 vs. Delta', etc. Most seemed to say Jet and Delta were out ahead in quality and fit/finish. Well, after putting together and playing with the saw for a while, I was at Rockler and took a detailed look at the Jet 14" closed stand saw. Other than motor position (since I was comparing closed stand Jet to open stand Grizz), I could not for the life of me see ANY difference in the saw whatsoever other than color. I mean even down to the little details, like the plastic blade guide and the hardware that holds it on to the standoffs. The cast frame looks like it was from the same cast except for a slightly different location of the dust port. The hardware for the adjustments on the guide blocks is identical. The guide post is identical. Wheels are identical. Table is identical. Tension adjustment mechanism / wheel tracking adjustment is identical. Didn't compare it to the Delta yet. So my question is why do people seem to feel that the Jet is of higher quality? I don't see how it could perform any better or be any more sturdy since there are no significant differences - other than the $150 price difference and lack of fence and tension release. Anyone else compare these saws closely that can comment? Where are the details and fit/finish differences that would make the Jet better? Happy sawing.

C C wrote:

Unpacked it to

mention of

Reply to
rob

I routinely use my G0550 w/riser block to resaw up to 11" and it works great. In fact, I made a sled for the daw and cut 42" long walnut logs into usable lumber. I have found no disadvantage to having the riser block installed.

Reply to
Al Reid

Rob, in answer to your question as to why some people may feel the Jet is of higher quality......I'm apt to think that a bit of what I call tool-snobbery might be the reason. From your apt description, it sounds to me that both saws might be produced at the same factory using the same molds, tooling, etc. Some folks simply spend more money on a 'name'. I've made my purchases based upon reviews, and a bunch of reading. My bandsaw is the Grizzly G0555, my lathe is a Jet, my sander is a Jet, my table saw is a Craftsmen contractor, and my router is a Bosch 1617EVSPK.

bill

Reply to
Bill Otten