Grizzly G0555 and resawing Padouk

Folks,

I have a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw, complete with the riser block. I'd like to buy some 8/4 padouk and resaw it with a proper resaw blade.

Should this be a problem? I've heard that padouk is a hard hard wood. Is there anything I should be aware of before attempting this? Am I out of my mind in trying to attempt this?

Any thoughts on this, or on resawing padouk on a 14inch bandsaw in general would be helpful.

- Thanks,

Todd

Reply to
Todd

Gosh no... have at 'er

I do recommend getting a 3/4 or 1" resaw blade, 3 teeth per inch.

I have a basic Rigid 14" bandsaw, and resaw just about anything.. firewood, pawduck, (sp?) maple, and anything else thats too thick to waste planing down on my planer. (ok so i end up with a lot of 1/4 stock, but hey.. its got a use too!) 5/4 wood can give me 2 1/2" boards.

Just take your time, don't FORCE it, let the machine do the work. Ensure your guides are set properly, and build a fence that will help guyde you on your way!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mac

Reply to
Brad

Great...I'll give it a shot.

I'm planning on buying 8/4 stock, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to resaw this stuff. :-D

Thanks for the response...

- Todd

Mike Mac wrote:

Reply to
Todd

Only 2 things to keep in mind with Paduak neither of them involve the make/model of your bandsaw (I have the G0555 as well).

  1. Dust, be prepared for a bright orange dust to cover everything if you don't have adequate collection. Wife, or significant other will not appreciate. This stuff turns into orange dye if it gets wet.
  2. Finishing, if you build something with Paduak and it is adjacent to lighter colored woods, make sure you seal with washcoat of shellac before you finish. Paduak will bleed and stain adjacent woods if not sealed beforehand.

I use timberwolf blades on my G0555, and they are perfect to cut Paduak.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

Just because they cut paduak doesn't mean they'll cut padauk; or padouk, either!

Reply to
Gus

Can't help you with your original question, but I'm hoping you might answer one about your Grizzly bandsaw. I'm thinking of getting one of these in the near future, along with the riser block.

With the riser block installed, what does that make the re-saw capacity?

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael Faurot

help you with your original question, but I'm hoping you might

12" deep with riser installed
Reply to
Gus

Excellent! I think that'll be on my wish list to Santa this year. :)

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Faurot