Grizzly G0555 14" Bandsaw

For some time I have wanted the Grizzly G0555 bandsaw. The price is now down to $395 (before shipping costs). When I started looking it was $495. This seems like the time to make the plunge. Does anyone out in this group know why that might be a bad idea (e.g., new model coming out, much better

14" bandsaw for equivalent price, etc.)? I researched this pretty throughly a year ago but a lot can change in a year.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I bought a G0555 last November when they were on sale for $395. I also got the mobile base, riser block (which I haven't installed yet) and the resaw fence. I'm very happy with mine and have used it quite a bit on a variety of different projects.

Before I bought my G0555, I saw that my local Woodcraft had a class on setting up and tuning a bandsaw. I'd never owned one before, so this turned out to be a good investment as I learned how to do all the various adjustments that insure the saw works properly. One of the other important things I learned was that not all bandsaws have a quick release for the blade tension. So when I started comparing features amongst the various 14" sized saws out there, the quick release on the G0555 was a big incentive for me.

From looking at Grizzly's web site, they've now got an updated version of the G0555 called the G0555X. It looks like the chief differences are that they've put the resaw fence[1] on this saw, instead of having to buy it as an add-on; it's got a 1 1/2 HP motor, instead of a 1 HP; the wheels are cast iron instead of aluminum; the stand is a little beefier and they've mounted a light to it. If I was buying new today, I might look at the G0555X a bit more closely since it comes stock with the resaw fence.

If you do opt for the G0555, you'll probably want to spend some time and add some brushes to the wheels to keep the saw dust from getting caked onto the tires. I made my own, but you could probably use something like the ones that Lee Valley[2] sells. The only other thing I've needed to do to mine was to reset the tension adjuster to provide more tension[3]. I found I needed to do this, after putting on a new blade, but couldn't get it to tension at all, even after cranking the tension knob fully. When I put this blade on, I initially thought I had purchased a blade that was too big and then I thought there was something wrong with the saw, that I couldn't tension the blade. After reworking the tension adjuster, all was well.

[1]: This fence is really two fences in one. If you don't need to resaw you can just use the cast iron part of the fence which is about 2 1/2" inches high. This will let you cut smaller pieces with the guide bearings down lower. If you need to resaw, it's aluminum piece that clamps on in a couple of seconds. Very easy to switch back and forth. [2]:
This is documented on page 38 of the manual, which can be downloaded from Grizzly's web site.
Reply to
Michael Faurot

Thanks for the excellent post Michael. I have saved it for future reference and I will think hard about the Woodcraft class. I currently have no plans for doing resawing so I think I will go for the lower price.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

When I took the class it was $40. Last time I looked at a flyer, it looks like it might be $45 now. I think it was a great investment, as I had no prior experience with a bandsaw at all.

I've done plenty of resawing with my G0555 and it hasn't stalled or bogged on me. It's really nice to be able to take a board that's say 12"Lx4"Wx3/4"H and then turn that into two boards that are

12"Lx4"Wx5/16"H. Before getting the bandsaw, if I needed some stock that was 1/4" thick, I'd have to run something like 3/4" stock through the planer and essentially lose 1/2" of useful material to the process.
Reply to
Michael Faurot

Before you installed the riser check and rechecked the wheels' coplanar, and the guide post. B'cuz after you installed the riser everything will change. You will find that the guide post won't align properly with the ball-bearing guides and the bandsaw will not remain on top of the crown's tire. I found the clearance between the guide post and the bore of the upper casting excessively loose.

Take a good look at the raiser block (both ends) before you install the raiser block. You will find the dowel pins and the mating holes on the raiser and the upper or lower frame sections are not good fit but rather loose fits, thereby after reinstalled the upper frame section it can rotate somewhat either side. This slight movement will cause your bandsaw to be out of alignment and prematurely worn out the blade guard. I also found the table twisted after a few months lightly used, the section where the taper pin inserted onto the front split casting twisted and it will stop the lumber from move smoothly forward. I have to file the edge "round" to cure the problems. I also have a lot of other nagging problems with the band saw. I finally sold it cheap and bought a used Delta in craigslist.

It looks good and feel good when it's new and unfamiliar, but after a while you will learn what "REALLY" good when you start looking around. I now come to appreciate a good American-made Delta. I am not saying Delta is the best and there are no faults, but as you try out more machines, you get smarter!

For more information you might be interested in Iturra Design bandsaw accessory catalog. It's free if you call 888-722-7078 or email snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

You might want to buy something from them to speed up your free catalog, it's worth the trouble, the wealth of information in the catalog will help you to decide which bandsaw to buy and how to make the best use a 14" bandsaw. I have no interest in Iturra Design, but someone who had learn a lot since start using a bandsaw a few years ago.

Reply to
WD

I bought a G0555 with riser block about a year ago. I installed the riser block with no problems. I have sawed several logs for bowl turning blocks. I have done a lot of other things with this bandsaw and I have never had a lick of trouble with it. I like the saw very much and am very satisfied with it. When I was in Springfield Mo recently I bought a resaw fence for it.. I haven't used it yet. The price is right for the saw and I think you'll like it a lot. If you are, say within 2 or 300 miles of a Grizzly store I would drive there and pick up the saw. I drove 300 miles to get all my Grizzly stuff (lathe, Go444Z TS with table extension, G0555 BS, 1029 dust collector, and several other toys). I've been to the Springfield, Mo store 3 times after visiting Branson, Mo. To a woodworker,visiting this store is like a kid being in a candy store.

Reply to
Dave

I would look hard at the 555X, the extra 50% power could be useful

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I recently bought the 555X because of:

- The 1.5 hp motor

- A bigger table than the 555

- The included resaw fence (which is great)

- Built-in light (minor feature, but nice)

- Cast iron wheels.

I'm very happy with this machine.

Reply to
jack