Update on Home Depot rebate

I mentioned a while back that I had sent in a Home Depot rebate in October, but never received it. So I called the rebate centre in January and they said I was in the queue and would be mailed out next month. I called in February and they said next month. I called in March and they said next month. So I called the store manager where I bought the Planer and they said it was not their problem, once it went to the rebate centre, it was out of their hands. I indicated that it was a shame they were having trouble paying their bills. Click.

So I tried thumbing through the phone book for a corporate number, but ended up with an internet sales person. At least she called the rebate centre for me and spoke to them. The story NOW, is that they mailed out the rebate card in January. So I relate the earlier BS and tell them I never received their frickin card. We'll put a trace on that sir, you'll hear back from us in

7-10 days. That was three weeks ago.
Reply to
Bill Stock

Bottom line: They don't give rebates.

Reply to
CW

RE: Subject

Call Atlanta and ask for CEO's office.

When you get the secretary, explain you are having a difficult time getting a rebate which while small, (plug in amount), it is important to you and you wonder if you can get some help.

My guess is that if the amount is less than $50-$75, somebody will cut you a check on the spot.

SFWIW, it has worked for me after trying for a year with no results.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Fri, May 18, 2007, 10:01pm snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (Bill=A0Stock) doth mention: I mentioned a while back that I had sent in a Home Depot rebate in October, but never received it.

Hehehe I'll shop at Lowes, but not at Home Desperate.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

15 years ago I asked a HD buyer just what they were doing that caused their competitors to go out of business in every market they entered. He said they weren't doing anything special; it was just that their competitors didn't care about the customer. Sadly, they have decided to cash in on their past efforts.

Good luck with your rebate, but my experience is that they no longer care what we think.

Reply to
Toller

The whole rebate scam is a, well, scam. Microcenter, CompUSA, Home Depot - they all do it. The "good" ones probably only throw out half of the rebate forms sent in.

Now, I either ignore the rebate in determining the actual purchase price, or, if the rebate is substantial, I'll send in the forms by certified mail. Seems to work.

RicodJour

Probably not quite that drastic. More along the lines of "they don't give *all* rebates" The fulfilment house most likely has a certain percentage of rebates that they flat don't plan to pay out, it ups their profit that way. The OP was one of the unlucky ones whose number came up. The rebate houses know that of the x% of rebates they fail to send, a very large percentage of people will have either forgotten that they filed for the rebate or will not pursue the fulfillment house past two or three layers of obfuscation. Check out

and search his site for "rebate" -- It's IT stuff, but the same principles apply to others as well. I believe one other tactic used by these places is that the business and fulfillment house enter into a contract in which a certain percentage of rebate requests is assumed and that is what the business pays to the fulfillment house. Now, an honest fulfillment house will pay out all legitimate claims, even if they guessed wrong and have to pay out more than they initially estimated -- other fulfillment houses simply refuse to pay any more rebates after the contracted amount are paid, even if the rebate requests meet all criteria.

Mark & Juanita

"Bill Stock" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

*snip*

Sometimes magazines will act as mediators in problems like this. If you subscribe to related magazines, you might try writing a letter to the editor explaining your situation (especially if HD's an advertiser) and asking them to intercede.

If that doesn't work, perhaps a call from a lawyer threatening legal action will. If your rebate's only $50 or so, it's probably not worth the lawsuit, but it's possible it could be a start of a class action suit. [Never take legal advice from someone on Usenet... except perhaps to contact a lawyer.]

The final thing to do is simply to quit buying things because of the rebate. I did that a long time ago because I got cheated out of my rebate. I'll send in rebates on things I do buy with a rebate, but I won't look at the price after rebate as the actual price.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I remember once I got a can of compressed air from CompUSA, which was free after the rebate. All I had to do was send in the UPC ......

(wait for it)

... printed on the can.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I agree with JTs post, I simply won't buy from HD anymore. Lowes or Ace Hardware is all for the big box home centers.

My last experience with a rebate though was mixed: I biought the Powermatic

14" Bandsaw in February, came with a free riser and a $100 rebate. I got the rebate 2 weeks ago, though I didnt send it in for over a month so that is pretty good. I still haven't received the riser, I'm being told by the dealer they have no idea where it is and by Powermatic that they are back ordered.

Reply to
Neil Larson

In all fairness, they probably sent the rebate check.

In an envelope with a return address like:

Sweepstakes Center

11 Cock Walk Way Erehwon, MA

With a "Standard Rate" (Bulk mail) postage marking.

Thereby encouraging you to toss the sucker unopened.

Reply to
HeyBub

I believe they send gift cards, so more likely stolen in the mail.

Reply to
Bill Stock

When I had problems at the local HD store, I went to the top. They didn't fix the process, but they sent me a gift card that covered the extra costs involved.

Try this contact in the CEO's get-them-off-my-back office ;-)

Michael Tyus

800-654-0688 x86751

John

Reply to
John

Rebates are a gimmick to trick the consumer. Most people who submit rebate offers forget about them, which puts the store ahead of the game. I don't use them.

Reply to
Phisherman

Pretty typical, I firmly believe that they don't intend to pay out many of these. many customers forget or don't follow it up, I suspect they only finally pay out some 10-20%.

I have sent off about $400 worth of rebate coupons and got back about $370, but you have to get pretty aggressive with some of these scumbag places.

Keep records and photocopies, (cert mail if it's a large rebate) and follow up at the 11th day if they say "7-10 days"

Establish a track record of becoming a PITA. Complain to the Better Business or write a stinging letter to a magazine that they advertise in.

When you buy, hassle the store manager about how you get ripped off with rebates, and how do I know this one will work out. Tell him you will initiate a class action suite against his chain if you don't get it. (There was a lawyer in CA a few years ago that did this with some chain, CompUSA? IIRC)

Reply to
Barry Lennox

If you want to get legal on them without being out anything personally, call your local Attorney General office and ask for the consumer protection division. Usually one call from these guys and you're rebate will show up.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Sat, May 19, 2007, 12:16pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Neil=A0Larson) doth posteth: I agree with JTs post, I simply won't buy from HD anymore. Lowes or Ace Hardware is all for the big box home centers.

That's interesting. I've never considered Ace as one of the big box genre, although I suppose as a franchise operation, I suppose you could. The one in the small town here is not very large at all, and the people, mostly teen-agers (including at least one or two girls), are all very knowledgeable and helpful. Probably becase the store is small, a lot of stuff is not displayed, cement, straw, fence posts, fencing, et al - there is a large list behince the checkout counter, but it always pay to ask if tey have somthing you want, just in case. Most people don't realize it, but they can also special order any number of things they don't normally stock. So, not just because they are handy, the local Ace is normally my first stop for anything I need. If they don't have it, if I don't know where to look next, I'll usually ask them if they know where I could get it, and if they dn't know (usualy the teen-agers), they will ask sometone else in the store that will likely know. Sometimes they know, sometimes not, but they're aways pleasant to deal with, always ask if you need help, and if you don't need help don't keep botheing you asking. Nce place to shop.

Dependng on what I'm after, if Ace can't help, I'm willing to visit one of the local Lowes. There's three that I'm aware of, from 8-10 miles from me. Lowes has a much better selection of stock than HD, Lowes people are much more helpful, and Lowes people are so MUCH more knowledgeable than those at HD. It may be different other places, but that's been my experience with Lowes and HD around here.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

We have a local Ace hardware store. During the past 16 years I've only entered their store twice. The store hours are so restrictive it would not make a difference to me if there was no store at all. At least Home Depot is open on Sunday, the only day I can shop.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'll second that! We have a small one not too far from me and I've been shopping there for 20 years. What has always astounded me is the knowledge of all of the staff, including the teenage girls who appear and disappear over the years. Best place to get some obscure piece of hardware and some advice. If you ask for something common, they generally figure you know what you're doing. If you ask for something out of the ordinary, they'll ask what you want it for and often steer you to something better. If they don't have it and can't tell you where to find it, you didn't need it.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Shades of Ralph's Pretty good grocery in Lake Wobegon.

Just ask Garrison.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett