Grizzly G0555 vs. Jet 708115K

Groan ... I am going nuts trying to decide which bandsaw to go with. Based on previous advice, I should dig up some funds and go for the absolute best I can afford. But money is a bit tight.

So anyway ... I've compared the Grizzly G0555 and the Jet 708115K (JWBS-14CS). Equipping each with a riser block and taking into consideration S&H, rebated and discounts, the monetary comparison is:

Grizzly - $552 Jet - $571

Both seem to get rave reviews from users. For a hundred bucks more, you can get the Jet 710115K (which gives you an extra 1/4 HP).

So, between the Grizzly and the Jet, does anyone see a great difference?

Thanks! I know I've been beating this issue and probably will still be doing so, but maybe I can just DO it and buy one!

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:1qSdnd_LzJ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

IMHO save some more money and get a better made unit. I know that it's a lot of money but if you are agonizing this much you may not be happy with the lesser saws. Laguna has a saw that will probably last you a life time. Twice as much but perhaps a bargain in the long run.

Reply to
Leon

The cheaper Jet doesn't have a quick blade release, the G0555 and the more expensive Jet do.

The Jets come with the equivalent of cool blocks. The G0555 comes with roller bearings, but not very good ones. If you want to use narrow blades you'll need to get standard guide block holders from Grizzly and cool blocks, about $25 in total.

I was going to recommend the Delta 28-206, but it looks like Amazon cleared out their stock and stopped carrying it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Concerning blade tension releases, there at 2 kinds. One actually releases tension enough that you can remove the blade, the other simply relieves some of the tension. You still have to untension the blade further to remove the blade. IMHO blade tension levers are bells and whistles that are unnecessary.

The top notch band saw manufacturers do no use tension release levers.

Reply to
Leon

There's more kinds than that actually. Some of them have 2 positions, partial and full tension release. Some of them adjust to the amount of tension. For example on my Delta it's a "dumb" release that just takes off so much tension that the top of the blade is just flopping around an inch off the wheel. I'd prefer it the way it was on your Rikon, only taking off some of it. If you're changing blades you're changing tension anyway so the lever does little for you. I don't change blades often and the lever is good for taking off the tension at the end of the day.

I don't have any experience with either the Jet's or Griz's.

It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I figured if I wanted one the only way to add one later is the Carter at $150, so it was either going to come with it or never happen.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in news:1qSdnd_LzJ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

What can you get from a local dealer?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Not much. I live up in Los Alamos, NM. Santa Fe is woefully inadequate for tool supplies. You have to drive all the way to Albuquerque to find anything decent (2+ hours one way) and I'm not familiar with the area.

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

myself I would take shopfox over grizzly if they have the same model. better switches and motors and warranty.

Reply to
Steve knight

Can't imagine why.

In the beginning, Delta made a good bandsaw and Jet copied it ... but not as good. Then Delta copied the Jet bandsaw ... but not as good.

Reply to
Swingman

There is a Wood Workers Supply in Albuquerque, see

Their 14 inch is

But I have no knowledge of the quality of it (in general their house brand is good). I have done a bit-o-business with this firm and have faith it in them

But they also carry Delta

There is also a Wood Crafters in Albuquerque, see

But I am less impressed with their pricing

Personally, I would buy a Grizzly, but I can drive to one of their outlets and pick it up.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

The only difference between the 2 is the price and the name.

Reply to
Dave

I'm sure a million people have chimed in on what bandsaw is best which they prefer etc. But hey, why let that stop me :)

I have the G0555. I absolutely love it. I use it all the time for quick cuts here and there, I've resawn 8/4 6" alder for bookmatched drawer fronts (worked great) and I even rip most of my wood with it (and then let it aclimate again and do final jointing/planing/ripping). I love it. I mostly use a 1/2" blade and have been very happy (if you haven't figured that out by now). I must say that I don't think I'd honestly be happier if I had spent more on another unit. Certainly not twice as happy ;)

Now, as a side note, you mention you want the riser block. I assume you want to resaw stuff bigger than 6". That might actually push the motor a bit. I don't know that you'd want to do that. Although it would just entail pushing the wood through really slow, your call. I mean if you're _rarely_ going to do that I wouldn't spend the extra cash on it. If you're planning on doing that pretty often then I would rethink your purchase because I don't think the G0555 is really designed for that (as a constant use I mean). I would look at a 2hp model personally.

In my whole shop (and I have pretty much all the power tools -- I'm never done collecting hand tools ;) I only have two items that I would upgrade if given the chance. I'd like an 8" jointer for the longer beds and I would upgrade the bandsaw as well. But here's the weird part, only because I use it the most and I "presume" it would be better to have more power there ... who's to say it would really make that much difference.

Heh, not sure I've helped, but at least I own the product you're looking at and it might help having my perspective as a current owner.

Good luck, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

I'd never buy Jet over Grizzly - jmo

Reply to
Joe

Thanks! Given the price difference, it's worth the trip to check it out.

Jack

Ralph E L> In article ,

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Did a quick check on some of the specs I could find. The Shopfox seems to be significantly heavier (256 vs. 210 shipping weight) and the Shopfox comes with cast-iron wheels whereas the Grizzly has cast aluminum.

Now, I don't know if that's good or bad either way. Intuitively, the cast iron seems better (and out here in NM, rust isn't an issue).

They have a slight difference in speeds - 1700 and 3000 for the Shopfox versus 1500 and 3200 for the Grizzly.

Another minor difference is that the Shopfox uses the base in a cabinet style as opposed to the open style of the Grizzly. Convenient I suppose for some local storage space.

The rest of the specs are pretty much identical.

The Shopfox is a bit more expensive, but not much.

Jack

Dave wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:Xq-dnYGF8aGC-

The cast iron wheels will provide more momentum longer when the sawing gets tough and ultimately probably with less vibration if they too are balanced.

Reply to
Leon

That's a good point. I don't think that I would find myself using the extension much at all. I just figured that it's good to have when you need it.

I'm not a profession woodworker (don't even come close to the same zip code!) and don't expect that I'll even do anything more complicated than some nice boxes, clocks, etc. It's just that I keep hearing that it makes sense to have the riser block from the start.

I assume that using the riser block doesn't detract from the standard sawing (other than maybe 1/2" of lost width capability).

Jack

Mike > I'm sure a million people have chimed in on what bandsaw is best which

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Hiya Jack, Yeah there's not much around here and I'm in ABQ! The WW Supply is a pretty good supply house and if you're a member of the ABQ WW'ers club, you get either wholesale or contractor pricing (can't remember which) but it amounts to about 15-20% off. I've never bought a large machine from them but I assume the lower price is still valid. The local Woodcraft has a lot of nice stuff but is way overpriced. I don't even bother pricing tools from them. So, at the end of the day, I bought the G0555 and it's worked great for me. I am not a serious bandsaw user so your mileage may vary considerably. I have since added a Grizzly table saw and jointer to the stable and so far, am happy with those as well. It's really not that big a deal to order it and have it delivered. A bit of faith in what your ordering and a whole lot of prayer that the thing won't end up looking like it's been through WWIII after shipping. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Cubby, I'm wondering if you checked out the Woodtek 14" band saw at WW supply. "Seems" like a good price.

Max (in El Paso)

Reply to
Max

I have not. I will say that when I'm in their store, their Woodtek brand tools look to be pretty solid but I wouldn't know about their performance. I haven't been in the store since last summer but I may take a better look at their stuff the next time I'm there. I've unfortunately had to put just about every woodworking project on hold to build a kiva fireplace, hardwood floors, painting, adobe walls, yadda yadda yadda.... I'm hoping to actually build something this summer (woodworking wise!) Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson