floating shelf

I have the need for a number of quick make shelves that look good for holding light objects for display in teenager's rooms, and (they) want clean looking floating shelves

here is my 2nd thought on making them

3/4 " stock, atleast 19" long, and 6" to 10" deep drill or bore 1/4" holes quite deep. use steel rods in the holes to give deep support The holes would be set whatever distance apart the stud centres seem to be.

Questions: does this seem reasonable? how deep do you think the holes should be

- in the shelves ? 1/2 way through is what I'm thinking

- in the wall ? 2" into the stud

- use polyurethane glue on the rods in wall, nothing in the boards

I have a drill press, and a jig to hold a board on edge. I would need to get a long bit.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I've seen this sort of thing done with torsion-box shelfs, never with straight 1x stock. It might work, but I would be worried that those "light objects" might get heavier than 1/4" of wood fibers could support.

I'd probably sink some inserts into the studs and use short sections of all-thread to hang the shelves; would be easier to remove when the teen changes his/her mind.

Dan

Reply to
d.kessell

How about dovetails? Sort of a bi-directional French cleat. Worked real well for me on shorter lengths. Much more than two studs spanned, and you start getting into uneven plaster problems.

Reply to
George

Hi Matt, SWMBO wanted shelves around the entire living/dining area... for display of plates, baskets and cans. I cut a 2.5" strip of (Insert your own wood choice) cedar, routed (dadoed) a

3/4 inch groove 5/8" down from the top edge and drilled through the groove at stud locations. For support there are a number of stanchions (how many depends on the length) at about 2' intervals screwed to the rail from the rear and meeting the bottom edge of the dado. The shelf is finished before installing, then slipped into the dado and attached to the supports with a few screws (the simply keep the shelf from coming out). This all is sounding more complicated than it really was so I'll post a couple of pictures to a.b.p.w for you to see. Tom
Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

You could also use a dowling jig to drill the holes.

Reply to
bwx100