Grizz G0555 on Ridgid Herc-U-Lift?

Has anyone ever attempted to put a Grizzly G0555 "ultimate 14 inch bandsaw" on a Ridgid Herc-U-Lift + mobile base?

Mine's currently on one of the Delta universal kits, which is OK, but difficult to pilot around our crowded garage. Plus with its high center of gravity (only getting higher when I find time to install the riser) the tilt induced with the base engaged for mobility is a bit disconcerting.

I have my Ryobi BT3K TS up on a Ridgid Herc-U-Lift +, and it's a dream--the saw sits on its own four feet when stationary, and when up on casters it's (a little) like leading Ginger Rogers around the ballroom (OK only a very little).

The G0555 is sort of "half open" ... I figure I'd have to remove one long side's bracing piece in order to operate the H-U-L+ stomping plate, but thought it prudent to ping the wreck first.

Thanks all,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Payne

From one Payne to another, it sounds like you need to get out of the shop a bit more often :-)

Reply to
Doug Payne

This is the second posting I've seen in a couple of days about mounting the Ridgid Herculift system under other tools. I have the H-U-L on my Ridgid table saw and like it alot. I looked online to see where I might get the lift "ala carte" and can't find a source. Where can you get just the lift?

Regarding mounting it to your Grizzly band saw: If you have to remove bracing to get the lift to fit, if it was me, (IMHO) I'd look for a way to add substitue bracing to compensate.

Good luck, Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I was just reading the latest issue of Wood magazine and there was an article on setting up a bandsaw in an optimal way. It was written by a furniture maker. He found movable bases didn't make the saw as stable as he preferred so he mounted his saw on a piece of plywood with those plastic furniture movers underneath so he could slide it around.

On another related topic, I am thinking about the Griz555 for my shop. Are you happy with it? Any complaints?

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I read the same article and interpret it differently. The Herc-U-Lift is designed so that when it is retracted, the tool base rests entirely on the floor in the same way that it would without the lift. Adding the lift should not reduce the stability of the tool.

Reply to
Robert Haar

Chuck, Home Depot is clearing out the Herc-U-Lift Plus (a universal, heavy duty version of the H-U-L on some Ridgid tools). As I understand it, they once sold for about $90. I picked up my first a few months back on clearance for $29, which I thought was a great deal at the time (compared to the $50 for the Delta "corners" from which to fabricate your own base). The current clearance, however is $14.70! I picked up a couple at that price, since I can't even get a decent set of casters for that cost. They're often tricky to find (they were 25 feet up at the HD where I found them) even once you find a store with them in stock. I just called the local HD and asked them to check around town for SKU # 352522. Extra bracing is a good idea, thanks.

Dick, Robert is right about the H-U-L, it retracts completely, so when not in "mobile mode" the tool's orignal feet are all on the floor. In fact, on my very light Ryobi BT3001 TS, it adds a helpful hunk of weight and bracing to the bottom of the stand, lowering the CG and probably doubling the weight (!). I've been very happy with the G0555, especially for the price. It's my first bandsaw experience, however, so what do I know. I haven't yet put on the riser kit or ordered up a woodslicer and some suffolk/timberwolf blades, but it does OK even with the stock blade. No vibration to speak of, blade tracks fine, adjustments were easy, and the tool seems very solidly constructed. It did a great job ripping down some recovered baseboards to fit a section of new wall, and I even did the bulk of the coping on the tilted table (with a narrower blade I could have completed the coping).

Robert, I fully agree the Ridid won't negatively affect tool stability when in non-mobile config (to the contrary, it's been a great stabilizer for my TS, as above). I am somewhat concerned about stability when mobile, though. Since the casters are, by the nature of the mechanism, inboard of the tool's existing feed, on something as tall, narrow, and high-CG as a BS, I am wondering if it won't be tippy as all get-out when up on the wheels. But at least it would be level--the tilt induced by the delta mobile base makes me feel like running over an errant splinter will make the whole saw tumble (probably on me).

Maybe I'll just give it a shot without disassembling the Delta base. Worst case I just end up with a few extra small holes in the stand (and a hernia from getting 250lbs of saw on and off multiple bases).

Thanks for the thoughts, guys,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Payne

Adam,

Thanks for your timely advice. I just bought the last two H-U-Ls in my area for the $14.70 clearance price (and I might have a line on one more...). They will be perfect for something I have been working on. I couldn't even buy one full locking swivel caster for that price!

Thanks again, Chuck

Reply to
Chuck