*snip: Previous Installation Notes*
Finished the installation today, except for waxing and putting the end
caps on the rails. (I haven't cleaned off the top of the saw yet, so
it's still protected.)
A few more notes:
Take the blade guard off and then loosen the set screw the first time.
That set screw was TIGHT. It bent (and bent back straight) one allen
wrench, but the second one succeeded in moving it. Once you have the set
screw on the blade guard assembly loosened, then you can put the guard
back on and work on aligning it.
The bolts attaching the Herc-u-lift supports to the legs need to be
rather loose. You can get away with tightening the nuts until there's
two or three threads under the nut. Also, the adjuster feet should be
close to the legs, not sticking very far out. That way, there should be
enough clearance to get over variations in the floor. (Like for a
I missed installing the foot stabilizer pieces (the metal part that goes
on the bottom of the leg), so I guess I'm going to go without them for a
while. Make sure you have the pieces in this order: adjuster foot, nut,
stabilizer, leg, nut.
The belt seems to be way too slack when installing it. Dont worry about
it. When you raise the blade the belt will lose that slack.
Everything else went well, except I misread the directions installing the
front rail and aligned it wrong. Not a big deal, I've just got to adjust
it before I can use the ruler on the fence.
I fired it up and heard a distinctive "whoosh" sound. At that point, I
knew I had a quality tool. A couple test cuts showed the fence was nice
and square and the miter gauge was tool. I put the two cut ends up
against a combination square, and had very little light showing through
It's time to start laying out my cuts for the next project. :-)
You can only do so much with caulk, cardboard, and duct tape.
To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at) fastmail.fm
Click to see the full signature.