Re: Plane of Interest

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:49:53 +0800, "Fraser Johnston"

That's for the one-off ebony and ivory Sandusky.
I don't have a copy to hand, so I can't check - but doesn't Sandor Nagyszalanczy's "Art of Fine Tools" talk about an even rarer version - an all ivory version, lost or stolen a few years ago, and built in replica quite recently ?
The boxwood version of this plane is clearly collectable, but not in that price range. Any idea what one of those runs to ?
--
Smert' spamionam

Hi Andy -
Actually - we have an ebony and ivory Sandusky, though not as much ivory as on the exhibition model....our has only ivory tips...
Mind you, as far as I know, it's the only one of it's kind too..... :)
If you look at our cover from 1984/85 (link below) you can the reproduction of it. The original surfaced after we published the cover, and we bought it from a well known woodworking author.
I beleive the "original all-ivory version" you refer to was photographed for our 1982/83 cover (also at the link below) after we had asked them to look for it (they didn't know they had it). Not a Sandusky though. I also seem to remember that the arms had been docked so it would fit in a display case....
http://www.leevalley.com/home/catalog25.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageSeq=1
Cheers -
Rob

Thanks for sucking up another half hour of my time. Well, at least it didn't cost me money this time (the usual outcome with LV).
More seriously, pretty interesting, especially the ones with a little story of what is in it, etc. A 1600's chisel? Very cool.
Now get that woodworking museum open in Ottawa!! I want see some of that in person.
PK

Thatnks - that might well be the one.
I like the three ironed (?) screwstem by M.B. Tidey on the 1998/'99 cover.
Those covers would make a great screen saver package!
--

Greg

"Robin Lee" wrote in message ...
: I beleive the "original all-ivory version" you refer to was photographed for : our 1982/83 cover (also at the link below) after we had asked them to look : for it (they didn't know they had it). Not a Sandusky though. I also seem to : remember that the arms had been docked so it would fit in a display case....
Yep. It as made by Moseley and Sons, later owned by Record, and disappeared from where ever they kept it. Been missing for a number of years.
    -- Andy barss