That's one less apprentice

A pity as he had a real talent but he would not use it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Prey tell.

Drove out into the countryside and left him there?

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Did you megger him while he was on a ladder?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Terminated with extreme prejudice?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Listening to music on an iPod. Everytime I spoke to him he replied "what?". When asked to remove the iPod he said "no".

Reply to
ARWadsworth

He probably lethargisised himself to death. Death by couch potato syndrome.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So you're stuck with the one who's been a teenager for 23 years?

Reply to
Andy Burns

And the other 5 youngsters.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That should be a hanging matter anyway, even if he took it off to listen to what you were saying. How can he expect to concentrate properly with headphones on?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I quite like music/radio when doing practical work. I'd say it's a hanging matter from the H&S POV, if he can't hear what is going on around him he won't hear the warning shout...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can -

but the issue here is two fold;

1) He's on a building site (of some level) so needs to be able to hear warnings/alarms etc.

2) He is an apprentice and does what the hell he's told

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I was young (and dinosaurs roamed the Earth) I could concentrate better while listening to music. These days it only works with music that has no words.

Reply to
Huge

Yeah, that's what I meant really. Radio on in the background is one thing, headphones is another.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Rather like the lemming pedestrians that just walk out into moving traffic 'cos they're thinking about other things and their headphones don't let them hear the traffic noise.

On the other hand, I can concentrate better and for longer on a single task when listening to music and as a mainly office based worker, I often use an MP3 player when carrying out detailed checks of long (and very boring) specifications or procedures. Most of the offices I've worked in recently allow music players, but we wouldn't be able to have a background radio, as it'd interfere with at desk meetings and phonecalls.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

That can happen driving too. It's happened to me - nothing dramatic, I just ended up in a strange city, no idea where I was and no recollection of the previous 45 minutes driving.

Well if it's music I have narrow tastes and would find myself concentrating on that rather than working, whether on headphones or not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In my day I did as I was bloody well told. I would not have dared to defy a plumber.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

So no ear defenders when using power tools?

That's more like it.

Personally, I'd not object to a workman listening to music etc on headphones when working - provided he takes them off when it's obvious someone wants to talk to him.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Radio on in the background may not suit others. A personal player is fine by me, if it doesn't interfere with his work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"What?"

Reply to