Re: eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - Seat Frames

Page 2 of 3
On 1/24/13 10:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

"boots and belt buckles" lmao! I think you just wrote a country song. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/24/2013 12:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Well, to do that you'd have to throw in a hat ... but that's part of the uniform. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
-MIKE- wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Remember the parody about the perfect CW song a few years ago?
It had to contain references to prison, trains, and mama just for starters.
Lew
On 1/24/2013 1:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

Mama told me Id be famous, If I learned to play guitar Id be known in evry county Travelin wide and travelin far
It took a lot of practicin But Mamas words were true I found a bunch of fellas Whose Mamas taught them too
Were on the road from town to town Playing evry roadhouse bar They hear us on the radio They hear us in the car
They know the songs, yes evry note They know the words by heart But how can I be famous When they cant tell us apart?
Chorus: Matching shirts and ties and matching hats Have robbed me of my fame Were only boots and belts and buckles no one knows my name.
Copyright Greg Guarino - five minutes ago.
On 1/24/2013 2:53 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Precious!! :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/24/13 2:53 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

You are one disturbed individual. :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 1/24/2013 5:52 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

You underestimate me. I am at least *several* disturbed individuals.
On 1/25/13 9:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

That explains it. I knew you couldn't have written that on your own. Always credit your co-writers. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/25/2013 10:59 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Many personalities make light work. I am large, I contain multitudes. :)

+1
-- With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice. -- Oprah Winfrey
On 1/24/2013 10:01 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've seen that ... some beautiful work!
It's can also be all about the sound ... I know some guys who will spend what it takes to get that "holy grail of sound" snare for their particular music, especially if it records well.
I had an old, originally cheap, "Ringo Star" kit as the house kit the first studio I built, and later down through the years either had to turn down offers daily, or keep an eye out that it didn't grow legs. Both the snare and the kick (with rock dot), recorded at 30ips on 2" tape, would punch a hole in your chest on playback .... never could duplicate that sound with any other kit, despite years of trying.
Then, along came digital, and ProTools ... :(
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/24/13 10:22 AM, Swingman wrote:

Those are the real "one percent-ers." The people who can, a. hear the difference, and b. care enough about it. :-)

Don't look now, but there are some kids on your lawn! :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 1/24/2013 10:36 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rVkv3kxV_hE/UQFUO4xwcJI/AAAAAAAARHI/0OsIZdRQPzs/s1280/synderweek+024.JPG
Everyone is different I guess. Our bass player is more promiscuous; his arsenal hovers at around 25 instruments. And unlike many "collectors", he plays them all. He used to routinely bring two to each gig, switching off between sets. He usually only carries one these days though. Age, I suppose. He's got a prized sixty-something Jazz as well, but it's hard to say that he has a clear favorite.

Again, everyone is different. A lot of people would question why you spend dozens of hours making bar stools when perfectly nice ones are available for purchase.
> Although I am totally impressed with violin

On 1/24/2013 10:36 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rVkv3kxV_hE/UQFUO4xwcJI/AAAAAAAARHI/0OsIZdRQPzs/s1280/synderweek+024.JPG
Everyone is different I guess. Our bass player is more promiscuous; his arsenal hovers at around 25 instruments. And unlike many "collectors", he plays them all. He used to routinely bring two to each gig, switching off between sets. He usually only carries one these days though. Age, I suppose. He's got a prized sixty-something Jazz as well, but it's hard to say that he has a clear favorite.

Again, everyone is different. A lot of people would question why you spend dozens of hours making bar stools when perfectly nice ones are available for purchase.
> Although I am totally impressed with violin

On 1/24/2013 12:06 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Considering that, by definition, 50% of all people fall on the low side of the bell curve with respect to many abilities, what "a lot of people would question" has never been of any concern to me whatsoever.
And, without exception, everything that I design and build is custom in all aspects, no one else has it, and it is not available for purchase.
Which is why those same "lots of people" pay me, and other folks around here like Leon, to do the same for them ... and because they can't. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/24/2013 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:

[I clicked "send" (twice actually) prematurely. Age, I suppose. ]
Anyway, I think you're agreeing with me. We decide for ourselves what things have value and what pursuits seem enticing. Simply having a great instrument is no argument against trying to build one, if instrument-building captures your interest.
I have of late taken to woodworking in my own sometimes bumbling fashion. As my skill is still in its infancy, no one would pay me to do it and there are indeed things out there for purchase that are of at least equal quality, and better.
I could argue that the stuff I build has certain advantages over store-bought. The desk I built fits the available space *exactly* rather than "well enough". Ditto the bookcase units I'm building now, should I live long enough to finish them (life has sprung a number of surprise challenges on us that threaten to require a lot of our time). And whatever visual imperfections there may be, my stuff is sturdy.
But none of that really explains why I'm doing it. I do it because the work appeals to me. As I was saying to a friend of mine just the other day, I like when people *do* things. His "thing" is rock climbing, but almost anything that's a little difficult - that requires practice and skill - counts in my book.
So if bass building isn't one of your things, that's your choice. But what better first project to test out that band-saw template jig than a solid-body bass? :)
Hell, you could even use your'61 as the template! (I'll start running now. Good thing I've got a thousand mile head start.)
Swingman wrote:

They look quite perfect. Congratulations!
Bill
On 1/23/2013 3:10 PM, Bill wrote:

Thanks, Bill ... there are indeed 48 screws, which even "recreational woodworking group member" chair makers of yore used for their corner bracing ... but indeed, no face frames joined by pocket holes, cabinet parts, or <gasp> drawer slides from the "commercial kitchen cabinet builders" group! ;)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ly30qTVtvMI/UPmyKZ_5rOI/AAAAAAAAQ24/0YBnPIDl-D4/s1600/13%252C%25202%253A35%253A44%2520PM.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c19NOYTHgRw/UPrmlpL0xNI/AAAAAAAAQ3w/ZmoUJG1LqIM/s1600/13%252C%252012%253A31%253A25%2520PM.jpg
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/23/13 1:06 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5836718721007604562
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5836720276036909474
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5836718095818981458
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionBarStool#5836719778850645682
I ran out of superlatives, long ago, to describe you work. sheesh. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/23/2013 5:42 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Thanks, Mike ... you're right up there in the woodworking department, for a drummer. :)