Paste Wax on Fe Tools?

Page 1 of 2
Ever leave paste wax (wiped on thin, but NOT wiped off) on your cast iron tool tops (jointer, TS top etc.) in between projects? I know I won't be starting anything else for a few weeks and I noticed a tiny rust spot on my jointer. It was previously (a week or two prior) treated with paste wax (wiped on and wiped off) and the rust still got me. I live in NC where it does get a little humid in the summer months.
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Yeah, it will get on your wood.
Use TopCote and forget about rust.

The idea would be to wipe it off before you start your next project. Mineral spirits should help get most of it off.

Expensive and I wonder if it protect with the same longevity as paste wax in between projects??

Expensive? Not for what it does. Does it last, I have had 2 cans last 6 or 7 years.
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 03:10:47 GMT, "Leon"

I've been known to apply Top-Cote a couple of times a day under heavy saw use. Other times I can go several days without another application. I can't say I ever gone more that 4 or 5 days without an application. Well....unless I'm on vacation.
Mike O.

Then I would say you are wasting the product. What do you consider heavy use? I recently cut up 15 sheets of plywood into probably 100 + pieces in one day. I did not apply before or after the job.
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:52:23 -0500, "Leon"

Sometimes I'll cut 150 pieces of casing for a house full of doors and I'll need to re-apply the product before I'm finished. The same thing if I'm cutting stiles and rails for a kitchen. While you may think I'm wasting the product I can certainly tell the difference after re-applying the top-cote. Maybe I just prefer less friction.
Mike O.

Of course. I could tell the difference if I applied Top-cote after every cut of a piece of wood, but I'd be wasting a lot of money on Top-cote and even more time applying the stuff when I could be doing something more productive.
35 years ago when I bought my first table saw, Top-cote didn't exist and it never occurred to me to use a paste wax, but I managed to cut a hell of a lot of wood without realizing that I was suffering from friction fatigue. It's your choice of course how often you apply the stuff, but conversations like this make me realize just how lazy our society is becoming.

The ultimate goal: The wood cuts itself. :-)

Since I make my living standing at the saw (and have for some time) I prefer the top to be as slick as I can get it. While you may consider that to be lazy I consider it to be more safe and in fact more productive. I've used about everything over the years and if I find something that works better than Top-Cote, I'll be the first to switch.
Mike O.

LOL...inferring societal laziness from the way a guy lubes his table saw! Someone should call Jon Winokur.

Tope-Cote's what we use (liberally) too. Great stuff.
JP

You've intentionally misinterpreted what I said. I use Top-Cote too, but even with heavy usage it's never been necessary to reapply it several times a day as he claimed to be doing. While it certainly does make it easier to slide wood on an iron surface, it's not the absolute necessity that you consider it to be. In another words it's a waste of time and effort to make things a little easier in the end. The only real gain as far as time and effort goes is in your mind. Your prerogative.
Thu, Aug 16, 2007, 7:35pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.net (MikeO.) doth sayeth: Since I make my living standing at the saw (and have for some time) I prefer the top to be as slick as I can get it. <snip>
Bottom line as far as I'm concerned. I know that if I was doing this for a living I'd be doing a LOT of things different than I do now.
A lazy person is one who tries to do things right the first time, so he doesn't have to redo them.

I thought we were talking about how to prevent rust.

Yes, but I found Boeshield works better. So does Top Cote.

Those are expensive alternatives.

"GarageWoodworks" writes:

Yes but it works, wax doesn't.
There ain't no free lunch.
Lew

Ahhhh, dog-gone it!!! :(

No. they are cheap in actual use. A can lasts for a couple of years and, more important, it works better than wax. Your money, your tools, you can wipe anything you want on it. Bacon fat will work too and save even more money.
But it attracts mice, wax doesn't