Staining

I'm going to stain some trim work, but it's a mix of red oak & pine.I don't want to make it too dark, a light pecan color would be good I've tried a few test but as you can imagine the red oak looks great but the cathedrals in the grain become very pronounced , while the pine looks very plain next to it. Any ideas on what I could use to blend them together?

Thx, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Wash coat of shellac before staining to seal grain.

There's an article in the last FWW on staining pine w/ tips...

--

Reply to
dpb

Paint?

Try putting on a spit coat of shellac to act as a sealer. You can also wipe it down with mineral spirits first, then stain. That keeps the more porous areas from absorbing as much. Will it blend oak and pine? I don't know as they are much different.

You can also look into dyes. I don't have any experience with them myself, but I've heard of using them for matching different woods. Others will know better.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Even if you suceed in getting them the same color, red oak is never going to look like pine. Or vice versa.

Reply to
dadiOH

IME, and without any restoration experience under your belt, you basically you have three choices: paint, use a _dark_ stain (gel preferably), or use the same kind of wood throughout.

Reply to
Swingman