Re: Question on staining oak

>> OK, I think I've got it. Sorry to be so dense. I will try two >> experiments and choose the best result. >> >> 1. Adding more stain after filling the wood with the filler/stain mix. > > Keep in mind that the binder in your filler is varnish. That varnish is > also going to seal the whole piece of wood so - after the filler is > *totally* dry - you may have to sand lightly before the rest of the wood > will accept an appreciable amount of stain. > >> 2. Filling the wood with the filler/stain mix followed by the dewaxed >> shellac, sanding, and restaining. > > That is essentially the same as #1, just a coat of shellac on top of the > varnish from the filler. I suggested the shellac originally because I > didn't know what was in your filler. > >> I'll report back my results in case anyone is interested who has >> followed this thread. > > I'll look forward to hearing. > >> Thanks for clarifying your posts for me. > > NP > > > > -- > > dadiOH > ____________________________ > > dadiOH's dandies v3.06... > ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from > LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. > Get it at
>>I have completed my experiments. As dadiOH predicted, there was no

difference between the sample I did with a grain filler mixed with stain followed by light sanding/more stain and the sample where I applied shellac over the grain filler/stain mix followed by sanding of the shellac/more stain. Thanks to all of you I think I have a good workable system for finishing oak though I did learn one other useful thing with these experiments and all of your help. When I did a sample where the oak veneer on the plywood had the strong V pattern you get from plain sawn boards (versus the veneer from quarter sawn boads), the open grain in the V was too dark. If I get this kind of oak plywood in the future, I will mix less stain in with my grain filler to minimize the dark color in those large pores. Then when I sand and apply more stain, I will get a more even coloring of the wood. .

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Huzzah!!

Or, you could put on a coat of shellac first of all, sand it off leaving it in the pores so they won't absorb as much then add your filler and "normal" stain. No, I don't own a shellac factory :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I think I like the shellac idea better than the pumice though I haven't worked with pumice so that may be fine too.

Reply to
Dick Snyder