Staining new Pella casement windows

They are pine on the inside.

From what I've read the process should go like this -

Lightly sand with 180 grit or finer sand paper.

Pella recommends applying a wood conditioner. Think Minwax makes a product.

Apply stain with either a brush or rag. Apply again if needed to achieve the desired color. Think Minwax also makes a product.

Finally, apply three coats of exterior-grade finish, such as a polyurethane finish

Anybody have any pointers

Thanks

Reply to
Brent Bolin

My pellas were ready to stain no sanding needed. Dirt or fingerprints should be cleaned with alcohol or windex and that area might need sanding, you need a pre stain like Bix or the pine wont stain evenly, its thinned Shellac, Oil finishes darken a bit water base wont darken much, I just used water base poly as the color and finish. Minwax stains I find hard to get a color I like but try it. The color of wet stain is your finished color. Experiment on scrap pine for your color and finish.

Reply to
ransley

How did you apply the stain and pre stain with a rag or brush?

Reply to
Brent Bolin