Bleaching oak cabinets

SWMBO wants to remove the dark stain from our existing kitchen cabs. So we set 'a sanding, and find the stain has permeated the open grain areas pretty well. I think "bleach", but am unsure how it'll do in the deep pores of the grain. Anyone here had any success removing deep color, or should I just try to match the new doors and drawers with a dark filler? Thanks in advance! Tom in Tucson

Reply to
Tomeshew

I bleached some raised panel doors once and this worked pretty good. A couple of problems I ran into, it takes a lot of time and patience. Allow for at the very least, two applications. Make sure you let the piece dry completely. It will then require some hand sanding. Don't expect a bleached white wood, it will still have some pigmets, just not a lot. I stained the wood a nice golden oak and it looked very nice.

Reply to
Ruster