Pass You Eye! Assembled Table Pics

Page 3 of 8
On 9/18/2015 9:51 PM, krw wrote:

Those that say a craftsman never blames his tools has never worked with good tools.
ABSOLUTELY Correct!

Yeah that is the big bite. Although my local Woodcraft kept the 197" Guide Rail FS 5000 in stock, stood up in the corner like a flag pole. $595.00 But you would not need the connector bars. ;~)

You'll kick yourself for holding out this long. Be prepared to buy at least another rail and couplers. ;-)
I've thrown my share of Festool barbs at Leon myself. ;-)

On 9/18/2015 7:18 PM, krw wrote:

Yeah but now you are under the "Spell". LOL

I bought my TS55 about five years ago (and the OF1400 a few weeks after that). That doesn't keep me from tweaking you from time to time about your Festool commercials, though. ;-)
On 9/19/2015 10:49 PM, krw wrote:

Not a problem. LOL I'll have to say that I had to use a TS75 before I actually realized what it was capable of doing. The Festool track saw has been out for many many years, probably going back to the 50's~60's IIRC. I think that we get so used to a mediocre standard that when something comes along that is that much better that we tend to not believe that better can be had because my such and such brand what ever is sooooo good they surely also build the best possible what ever.
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:17:49 -0500

the designers would not usually specify a bearing with a huge MTBF as they cost more but i do not know if there are bearings with 20 year life expectancy or if there are bearings with a 35 year life expectancy

for my use dust collection is not important but i can understand that if you are doing finish work it might matter a lot indoors at a customer location

i never got the impression that he was lying he seems to be a straight shooter that does not mean he has no agenda but i do not think that he is falsifying his tear-downs

most of the non-honda motor equipment i see for sale seem to have carburetor problems maybe because they vibrate so much the honda always seem to run smoother
"Electric Comet" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------ Bearings are selected based on cost, not necessarily engineering parameters.
The higher the volume, the lower the cost. There are more basic 203 ball bearings manufactured that ALL the rest of the ball bearings combined.
As a result, it is the lowest cost bearing made and often gets applied in an over engineered applications where a smaller bearing could be used but it would cost more.
Fractional HP motors, alternators, forgot how many are in the modern tranny.
It has a 0.669 bore which makes it easy to provide a 5/8" shaft.
Lew
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 18:40:18 -0700

seems a contradiction using a lowest cost bearing could mean that the product is in fact not over-engineered and might turn out to be under-engineered and for a festool it might not be unreasonable to expect a quality bearing
On 9/17/2015 7:50 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

I used to subscribe to that ideal, I created mountains of saw dust. Now days with the Festool vac and my DC I have very little that gets away. The beauty is that I don't have to chance clothes every time I stop to go inside to eat. And or I don't have to worry about tracking dust into the house. Or.....have as many allergy problems. It's nice staying relatively clean.

Well you know what they say about the internet. If it is there it has to be true. BonJour.

Don't get me wrong, a Honda engine would always be a perk but not all Honda engines are created equal these days.
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:58:57 -0700, Electric Comet

It was the TS55 and it is not $1000, at least in the US. He must be in Canuckistan. They're about $550 here.

The whole mower is built well.

On 9/17/2015 9:23 PM, krw wrote:

I've never had a problem with cheap mowers motors. I have had problems with the rest of the mower however. The frames rust out, the wheels fall apart, but the motors work. I'm on my second lawn mower since getting married, 40 years ago.
The first one. a $75 Murray with a Briggs engine, the frame rusted out, the second also a Briggs engine, is still working fine, I had to fix the wheels on it, but it starts on first/second pull.
--
Jack
On 9/18/2015 10:07 AM, Jack wrote:

Every once in a while one gets out that was built right. You sure a lucky guy Jack.

I agree. They're not jobsite circular saws used by frame monkeys.

Even a contractor who buys tools for his crew will either buy cheap, as you suggest (so it's easily replaceable) or the best (so it won't get destroyed). The middle ground seems to be the arena of the home owner.

The smaller, a newer model of the one I own. I have no regrets, either, though it's a toy for me. It's an amazing tool.

Their track saw isn't that much more than the competition's. ...the reason I bought the Festool (and they have a *much* better stable of accessories).

...and it always starts on the first pull, even after sitting over the Winter, full of gas.
On 9/17/2015 8:20 PM, krw wrote:

Yeah I forgot to mention that. I might suggest adding "Stabil" or another gasoline stabilizer. while I never had a problem with my Honda the additive worked wonders for my fathers Honda. The dealer recommended it since alcohol is likely to be in the gas and that attracts water. Relative inexpensive and good insurance against bad gas or gas that might go bad.
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 07:39:54 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Yeah, it's around $3.40 a gallon around here. I buy it, when it's convenient but I haven't had trouble with "old" gas since they improved the supply system a decade or so back. I never do anything special to the gas, other than dumping what's left in the gas can into my car at the end of the season.
On 9/17/2015 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:

I worked in an office and used the janitors vacuum once to clean something I spilt. This thing was beat up to hell and back, cleaning many thousands of square feet a day for years. I was amazed at how this thing cleaned, and was super easy to push around. It was jaw dropping. Anyway, I don't recall the name, but at the time, I looked it up and the price was also jaw dropping, so my wife was stuck with the Hoover.:-)
--
Jack
On 9/18/2015 9:24 AM, Jack wrote:

Yeah the Ricar is north of $1000 now. I'm glad ours still works well although for the past 8 years we have been using a Roomba vac. It vacuums 5 days a week every week on the entire down stairs in the new house. My wife uses the Ricar in a single carpeted room up stairs.
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:58:51 -0500

Be careful with that around dogs
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/orl/5112700681.html
On 9/19/2015 1:52 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind more than once. We have a Great Dane.
On 9/20/2015 9:55 AM, Leon wrote:

And a bigger pussy never lived. Had to bring Pandi to the ER late one night last week ($800 later, and she's fine ... thank gawd for pet insurance).
Girl behind the counter at the all night facility had her Harlequin GD with her, younger but almost as big as Mocha.
Another big pussy, so scared of 9lb Pandi, as sick as she was, that we had to go sit in another room.
I'm tempted to get a roomba just to see the reaction around here.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net