OT: do you think the new "no call list" will survive?

Yup. *LOTS* of people. see for a starting point.

The FCC also *does* follow up on complaints. Issuing 'cease and desist' orders, and levying *non-trivial* fines. I've got a bookmark around somewhere of the web page where they _list_ the enforcement actions they've taken.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

--snip--

Reply to
Renata

That was my thinking but someone pointed out that folks may also be putting their names on the list because they know they can't resist buying and this saves them the temptation.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I have my doubts that ruling will stand. The judge ruled the law unconstitutional because it prohibits some telemarketing calls, and permits others, based on content; he held that to do so is an unconstitutional infringment of the telemarketers' First Amendment right to free speech.

I believe that ruling will be overturned, on the grounds that nobody has a Constitutional right to telephone people who do not wish to receive calls, i.e. there is no Constitutional right to be annoying.

Doug Miller

On 26 Sep 2003, Doug Miller spake unto rec.woodworking:

I agree that it will be overturned, but now it will take a bit of time to wind through the courts.

Having gone through this on-again off-again roller coaster, I imagine that those who signed on to the Do Not Call list are going to give an earful to any telemarketer with the cojones to call after October 1st.

More of an earful than usual, I mean.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

The phone is a tool that I pay for for my convenience. If I the phone rings and I stop doing what I am doing to answer it because I have reason to expect a worthwhile call, and it's a sales puke, then they have interrupted me and wasted my time.

If you like sales pukes to call you, fine, but don't expect the rest of us to enjoy going to answer the phone and find a parasite on the other end of the line.

The idea that a sales 'droid should be allowed to ring a bell inside your home to get your attention is ludicrous.

Reply to
Rico

Renata remarks:

I doubt it. I put my name on the list, first day possible. I have a rule to never buy by telephone unless I initiate the call. I have no problem at all not buying septic system treatments or credit help from some doofus on the phone. It's right up there with not buying crap from HSN or QSwhatever it is.

Not once have I ever had a telemarketer call with something I needed or wanted. If I did, I'd find a way to buy it elsewhere, but these days I hang up as soon as the line starts to unreel.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:05:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) pixelated:

the people, ruled out junk mail and phone calls? With so much less to deliver (both mail and product), billions of gallons of gas and oil per year would not be sold and profiteered upon. How could our fearless leader allow that? I'm sure the judges have their orders on such matters. (Think how many officials that extra oil money can buy.)

Sign me: Fed up in OR.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I always say "No, no, no" and hang up. That way they can't somehow twist up a recording of the conversation to prove that I agreed to whatever they were trying to sell.

Reply to
Silvan

I agree with Larry. The magic words are: What is your name? Who do you work for? and Connect me with him/her.

I had this epiphany while try> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:24:37 -0400, Silvan

Reply to
Alan McClure

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:51:20 -0400, Silvan pixelated:

Ask 1 question: Is this a sales call? Add one statement: Please remove me from your call list immediately. Once that's done, you're legal. Hang up.

Alternative: Ask 1 question: Is this a sales call? If affirmative, add: Give me your name, badge #, and company name. Add one statement: Please remove me from your call list immediately. Once that's done, you're legal and (possibly) have their info. Hang up.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Which will *NOT* hold up on appeal. The _exact_ same issue was raised about the junk fax statute (TCPA, aka 47 USC 227), and the Sup Ct. held that it _was_ Constitutional.

That doofus judge in Colorado needs a refresher course in constitutional law. which the Appelate court _will_ give him.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Dear Fed up in OR, Would it suprise you to learn that your Fearless Leader is

*STRONGLY* in favor of the Do-Not-Call list??

Fasten your seat-belt. He *is*.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

What you do in -that- kind of circumstance is answer with things like:

"Yes, it is a new condition, she inherited it from her new-born grand-daughter."

"How long? It'll be 3 days, 4hours, 17 minutes, and 23 seconds, as of noon, a week from next Wednesday."

For inspiration, see the Mark Twain story about his interview with a cub reporter -- this is the story where the line about "the reports of my death were greatly exaggerated" comes from.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

You mean god is on our side?

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Perhaps, but that would reduce the amount of calls just due to cost of calling.

Reply to
Larry Bud

That doesn't mean they're offshore. I work in IT in Michigan, and many of my coworkers are Indian.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I think it will survive in some form or another. I do have concerns whether it will be effective. I think the telemarketers won't give up so easy.

Gary

Reply to
GARY

My office mate made a trip to Germany and noted that it was cheaper to call Germany per minute than it was to make a call 70 miles up the road to Albuquerque (in state long distance)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Bruce Rowen notes:

And contract rates are even cheaper.

The cost is no greater than are the rates for calling in the States.