National do not call list

Does a religious based caller selling a product for profit have to comply with the do not call list?

i got a call tonight trying to sell cemetary plots. their caller id was marked private. they called during my dinner.

this group treated me and my family very poorly when i was a kid. my mom was a single parent. the church posted the donation amount inside the church. we were broke.......

the call ended poorly, the sales lady after hearing what happened to me and my family said i was possed by the devil.

i suggested she works for a corrupt organization.

i would like to report tham for a do not call infraction

Reply to
bob haller

I suspect it must, but I'm quoting and quoting below and don't find the answer. Were they trying to sell cemetery plots in the church's own cemetery? If they don't own the cemetery, it seems like they would be a 3rd party caller for a cemetery that might have to obey the rules. Or if they do own the cemetery but a 3rd party service was calling (as happens with the volunteer fire deparatment all the time, I hear) they're not covered. Hmm. I just realized I could get them to stop calling. AIUI, the commission they charge is high. .

At any rate, even if they were not covered, if you tell them you dont' want them to call again, they have to stop. I think, even if they're a charity.

What calls are covered?

The do not call provisions of the TSR cover any plan, program or campaign to sell goods or services through interstate phone calls. This includes calls by telemarketers who solicit consumers, often on behalf of third party sellers. It also includes sellers who are paid to provide, offer to provide, or arrange to provide goods or services to consumers.

The National Do Not Call Registry covers intrastate telemarketing calls under the FCC?s rules. You can find information on the FCC?s regulations at

What types of calls are not covered by the National Do Not Call Registry?

The do not call provisions do not cover calls from political organizations, charities, telephone surveyors, or companies with which a consumer has an existing business relationship.

Do the do not call provisions of the TSR cover calls soliciting money for charities?

Charities that are calling on their own behalf to solicit charitable contributions are not covered by the requirements of the national registry. However, if a third-party telemarketer is calling on behalf of a charity, a consumer may ask not to receive any more calls from or on behalf of that specific charity. If a third-party telemarketer calls again on behalf of that charity, the telemarketer may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000 .

The church required a donation in order to ??? and your mother didn't have the money and ???. I don't want to pry, but you seem to want to explain, but I don't understand.

LOL.

and

Filing a complaint

You have multiple options for filing a complaint with the FCC:

File a complaint online By phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322); TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322); ASL: 1-844-432-2275 By mail (please include include your name, address, contact information and as much detail about your complaint as possible):

Federal Communications Commission Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division

445 12th Street, S.W. Washington, DC 20554
Reply to
Micky

Not too smart of you to talk to them assholes.... I'd told them "I am not interested, Do not call me again, You will be reported for violating the DNC", then hang up!

Report them anyhow! If somehow they are excluded, at least you tried.

I dont put up with that bullshit. Unless I asked someone to call me, I dont have time to waste on them.

I know political calls are allowed by the DNC. I have been getting a lot of that crap lately, and while I cant threaten them with a DNC violation, I do quickly tell them "I'm not interested, Do not call me again", and I hang up. DONE....

Reply to
Paintedcow

tthe cathoic church back in the 1960 published each familys donation is a parish newsletter and actually posted the amount donated each week by each family inside the church .

i was part of a single parent family, before it became popular....

my family my mom. me 6 years old and my grandma had near no money....... family gave us food.

i blame the catholic church, i got beat up as a kid because we werent a good catholic family since we didnt have the bucks todonate to the church.

i actually found the repaired places in te brick walls where the signs were attached

Reply to
bob haller

Wow.

Wow.

Well, I've read many of your posts and normally you seem like a pretty well-adjusted guy with a pretty good life. You deserve it.

Reply to
Micky

ply with the do not call list?

s marked private. they called during my dinner.

om was a single parent. the church posted the donation amount inside the ch urch. we were broke.......

e and my family said i was possed by the devil.

parish newsletter and actually posted the amount donated each week by each family inside the church .

family gave us food.

ood catholic family since we didnt have the bucks todonate to the church.

Bob, I will take you at your word, I have never heard of anything like this happening. The worst of heard of large parishes are fund drives where you were required to sell raffle tickets. And this was second-hand information. Even the K of C don't require you to buy or sell all your raffle tickets. Just sell what you can and return the rest.

Reply to
bob_villain

:( That's horrible.

Reply to
Muggles

My experience with the Federal "Do Not Call" program: Since registering my landline and mobile on it six years ago, the number of calls to both went up like the human population curve since the late 1800s! Names of states for caller IDs, "Unknown", "Private Caller", etc, etc, etc. Day and night my cell and the land line would ring. Sometimes the same caller 3-4x per day. I have since had my mobile # changed, and now get a fraction of such calls to it. We also plan to change our landline #, and this time, will register NEITHER with the Do Not Call list!

Question: Who runs the Do Not Call Registry? Answer: The Federal TRADE Commission(FTC)

And what does the FTC regulate and facilitate?

TRADE!! And COMMERCE!

And what do you think they do with your phone numbers once you register them with the DNC list? Give or sell them to businesses!! smdh...

So folks, do yourselves a huuuuge favor - STAY OFF the Do Not Call list! Period.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The do not call list is a joke but charities, non-profits and people you do business with are allowed to call you.

Really not a lot of sense talking to them unless you get some enjoyment out of it. Bulk of these calls are flat out scams and coming from outside the US. Government and phone companies who have got to know where these calls are coming from and could stop them are doing absolutely nothing.

Reply to
Frank

If nothing else, telling a customer he sounds devil possessed is rather bad manners.

I did get called devil possessed, one time. The guy was writing from state prison. He'd gotten addicted to heroin (after his battle with alcoholism) and had burgled a doctors office for the meds. I wrote that the Spirit was cautioning me about him. He wrote back that I sounded demon possessed. Well, consider the source / author of those comments.

I'd go ahead and make the DNC report anyway. Just on the small chance it will do some good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is true, 50's, 60's and even into the 70's. I was brought up as Catholic by devout Catholic parents who were publicly shamed by the meager contributions my father could afford.

I could go on but I will leave it at that.

John

Reply to
John

That's as bad as the Morons , they send out a bill to member families telling you how much they expect you to pay each year - and it's more if they have a building project going on . I still don't know where that money goes , as all "leadership" is unpaid AFAIK .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

we pay the NSA billions to spy on us.

We should enlist the NSA police the do not call list.

This should be a piece of cake for them.

makolber

Perhaps they had not heard of the parable of the widow's mite?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which group is that, Terry? I've been Mormon (note spelling of church nickname) for twenty five years, and never had a bill sent to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

truly sad, and since this was so wide spread the church must have known about it

Reply to
bob haller

...or the people that did the shaming, "Judge not, lest ye be judged". "Do as you would have it done to you".

Reply to
bob_villain

and the catholic chruch stood by and faciliated it. i got beat up by other kids because we werent a good catholic family...

and lets not forget the cathoic church protected pedophiles

Reply to
bob haller

It's sad what what some people have done and used religion as a reason for doing it.

Reply to
Muggles

Indoctrination to use the Church envelope started in the 1st grade. My mother gave is a dime or quarter to put in. Once I was out of school I refused to use an envelope. Aside from public humiliation as a means to get you to contribute, they told you there was no other way to prove a tax deduction for you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski