White Oak available! Come and get it! (was Tree into Lumber)

My brother lost a tree to the recent hurricane. The tree is, he

>believes, a white oak. It has a straight trunk around thirty feet long, >and is about two feet in diameter at the base. > >He was planning to cut it up for firewood, but having priced oak boards, >I was thinking that it might be more valuable convert it into lumber. >Has anyone here ever done that or know anything about it? The problem as >I see it is getting the tree to a sawmill or vice-versa. Oak wood is >incredibly heavy. He said that it took two people to move pieces cut >from the top of the trunk that were only 12-15 inches long. Another >complication is that the tree is in his back yard and my sister-in-law >wants to get it out of there soon.

I have crossposted this to rec.woodworking. Hopefully those folks will have some ideas.

-- Please reply to: | When we are planning for posterity, we pciszek at panix dot com | ought to remember that virtue is not Autoreply has been disabled | hereditary. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Paul Ciszek