O/T: Abby Sunderland

A buddy of mine circumnavigated in a 27 foot boat. Took him four years. He wasn't in a big hurry. It wasn't a cheap 4 years, even though he did it on a tight budget. That's a lot of wear and tear on the boat, and of course you also have to eat, and pay all sorts of "fees" anywhere you land. He didn't have any sponsors to speak of. One factor is that once you circumnavigate, you can make money doing appearances and lectures. You can also write magazine articles. My friend is also an artist, and he painted all during the voyage. His paintings now go for much higher prices than before he circumnavigated.

Reply to
salty

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:22:44 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

AFAIK, Abby's parents aren't the criminal type. The balloon boy's parents showed that they are. What's the final bill presented to that idiot? Or did they just jail him. I don't watch TV so I didn't see how it ended.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:43:25 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

Through thick clouds?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:13:10 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

And like I said, she's already out there. Find your own acceptance of that fact and you'll be happier. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:56:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

That's true, but they're potentially closer to wise at that age than we were, and we all survived the wild shit we pulled, right?

After all I've read from you on this subject, Leon/Swingy/Naily, all I can say is "Were your mothers 'scared by a boat' when they were pregnant with you?"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:21:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

That fits with a joke I received via email on Friday:

--snip-- While trying to escape through Pakistan, Osama Bin Laden found a bottle on the sand and picked it up.

Suddenly, a female genie rose from the bottle and with a smile said, "Master, may I grant you one wish?"

Osama responded,"You ignorant, unworthy daughter-of-a-dog! Don't you know who I am? I don't need any common woman giving me anything."

The shocked genie said, "Please, I must grant you a wish or I will be returned to that bottle forever."

Osama thought a moment, then grumbled about the impertinence of the woman and said,"Very well, I want to awaken with three American women in my bed in the morning. So just do it and be off with you.

"The annoyed genie said, "So be it!" and disappeared.

The next morning Bin Laden woke up in bed with Lorena Bobbitt, Tonya Harding, and Nancy Pelosi at his side.

His penis was gone, his knees were broken, and he had no health insurance.

--snip--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's why I'm going to climb Everest instead. Just trying to save a few bucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ROTFL!!!

Reply to
LDosser

Used to write software to read the USSR versions ...

Reply to
LDosser

Best comment in this thread!

Tim Douglass

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

Reply to
Tim Douglass

I don't really see what Larry thinks that "thick clouds" would have to do with the transmission of radio signals. Maybe he doesn't understand how an EPIRB works.

Reply to
J. Clarke

IIRC he did have to pay a fine.... maybe, but again IIRC it was way low and almost insignificant.

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------- Jail + probation time for BOTH husband and wife as well as a $50K civil assessment to cover SAR expenses.

BTW, no TV, there is always NPR.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oops, I thought the RSAT part was for Radar Satellite as in RORSAT, which is what I was writing SW for. They watched us and we watched them watching us.

Reply to
LDosser

========================== EPIRB as in Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.

Found on aircraft and ships.

Each one is unique and registered.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:41:55 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

So what are your qualifications for persons considering circumnavigation, Uppy? I'd like to hear them.

It doesn't seem that anyone has them, listening to you 3 naysayers.

I'm an AGWK skeptic, you three are circumnavigation skeptics. Small world. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:13:57 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski" scrawled the following:

I'd pick that sailor guy from Schute's _Trustee_, myself.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:47:33 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

$50k might pound it into his head to never try that again, but only if some media asshole doesn't come up with it as a bribe to get him to write the book about it. (See -why- I turned off the TV?)

No,no,no, Lew. You misunderstood. I called DISH and said "NO MORE OF THIS 500 CHANNELS OF NOTHING! Come take your crap away."

As to NPR, I'm a liberally moderate conservative who doesn't listen to it. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:15:23 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

I bow to your considerably deeper experience with it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 01:16:45 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

I was thinking KH-class sat "pictures", I was.

Reply to
Larry Jaques