O/T: Abby Sunderland

Page 9 of 14
On 1/15/2010 11:05 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Most of us will only ever wish we had a kid as mature and successful ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You're kidding, right? I didn't see a smiley or wink, so I will assume you were. Otherwise to follow that statement to its untimely end, we would have to say that the average person lived (depending on the source) about 30 years on this planet.
So in your world, using your example, she is matured to middle aged?
Are you comparing her to the social standards of almost 25 centuries past?
Surely you must be kidding.
This is a girl that can't even legally drive a car without an adult in it.
(Yeah I know, I am waiting for the farm boys to chime in and tell us they started driving on their grandpa's lap at 4 yrs. old.... save it.)
Now this girl wants to sail by herself, unassisted, non stop, for what will probably turn out to be a year. A year of isolation, a year of constant danger going through as described "some of the most dangerous waters in the world", called "the sailor's graveyard".

I don't know how much credence I would put in a 16 year old's assessment when "thinking things through" when their life is at stake. While she may be quite competent for a 16 year old, indeed, she is still 16.
I don't care how much it is, but the claim that "gotten a good deal of relevant experience" doesn't include being pursued by pirates/rapers/ muderers, handling her boat when the systems fail in a storm, say in "sailor's graveyard", etc.
I hope everything turns out OK for this kid and she can come back and parlay this into her fifteen minutes. She can write a book, a children's inspirational book, a TV movie for Kid's Discovery, and go on Oprah. She can be an inspiration for further pointless grabs for attention by kids everywhere.
If she is murdered, missing, or smashed to pieces in a storm during this event I hope they go after they parents for negligence.
After all, at 16 you can't even enter into a legally binding agreement as you are still considered a minor.
Just because folks have the money to do whatever they want when they want, doesn't mean it is a good idea.
Robert

<snip>
Not at all.
As stated elsewhere, this 16 year old has been sailing since she was a rug rat.
She is NOT just any 16 year old kid being thrown to the devil, but an experienced sailor who is part of a sailing family who has also done some single handed sailing.
Single handled sailing requires a certain focus.
You do it right or you do it dead.
IOW, you mature in a hurry.
She obviously has spent a lot of time not only developing a well thought out game plan, but also the equipment needed and her required personal preparation to accomplish the desired end result.
This is not some hocus pocus 15 minutes of fame gig, but a well thought out plan of an experienced sailor who just happens to be 16 years old.
BTW, the Modesto Bee needs to get a sailor on staff if they want to cover a seafaring event.
Being land locked in the central valley gives them a good perspective on growing crops, but sailing, not so much.
Lew
> I don't know how much credence I would put in a 16 year old's > assessment when "thinking things through" when their life is at > stake. While she may be quite competent for a 16 year old, indeed, > she is still 16.
> Just because folks have the money to do whatever they want when they > want, doesn't mean it is a good idea.
Experienced a tragic example of that a few years back.
I grew up on a horse farm; rode, trained, show jumped, rodeoed, roped, rode dressage and three day events, and even held a farriers license at one time, so there is little about a horse, and horsemanship, I haven't been exposed to since I was old enough to remember.
Two years ago all the horse crazy kids and their Moms in this affluent neighborhood were all talking up, and hiring, a 14 year old girl as the "OMG!!, BEST 'horse trainer' in the whole world!!".
I'm sorry, but there is simply NO way a 14 year old kid is old enough to have the "experience", knowledge, and judgment to be anything but a pimple on a real horseman's butt.
Sure enough, and with parents with more money than sense pushing her all the while, the young lady, two years later and tragically, is a now a quadriplegic ... simply because of her inexperience and lack of judgment in getting herself into a situation that no "horseman" would have gotten into in the first place.
It was sobering for a lot of these kids ... but damn, there are simply some things you just don't fool with without both lengthy experience, knowledge, and a finely tuned judgment based on both ... mother nature, and large quadrapeds capable of killing you, included.
Despite the current cultural perception to the contrary, life is NOT a farking "My Friend Flicka" movie/video game ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I too have worked around horses most of my life, it seems that teenage girls like to think of horses as friends and pets, they are neither.
Me and SWMBO recently got a Belgian Warmblood from a horse barn that catered to young riders. This guy is 17.4 hands and 3/4's ton of bad attitude, an animal like this requires constant vigilance when handling, he will hurt you.(but he can also jump a 4 ft. fence without blinking) I can't imagine a 17 yr old of either gender being able to handle this horse.
Three day eventers "have to own a crazy horse" it's in the rules.
Disclaimer: I no longer ride, I consider myself too old and fragile.
basilisk
On 1/15/2010 11:35 AM, basilisk wrote:

My favorite horse idiocy tales revolve around the propensity of urban raised females, even older ones, refusing to geld their colts.

LOL ... you got that right.!

I just haven't had the opportunity the past twenty years or so.
That said, although it is blurry as hell, the below is my 86 year old Dad, just this past November (09), putting a "handle" on one of his race track retreads that will no longer race, but may be handy around the farm!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ0tirrX1h8

As blurry and brief as it is, a true horseman will appreciate the supple grace of his "seat" even at that age ... although I kidded him a bit about his feet being too far forward ... until he said "Here, show me!". :)
A true horseman will also notice this horse is not all that happy with being trained, by his demeanor under saddle, and his tail twisting.
My Dad will probably ride til the day he dies.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 01/15/2010 12:03 PM, Swingman wrote:

Reminds me of a stud horse in a dressage arena with a bunch of mares lined up for ribbons, first time I'd ever seen a horse in the judging booth.

He looks good, I hope he has many more years to ride, for me it is simply not my passion and therefore not worth the risk anymore.
basilisk
On 1/15/2010 1:46 PM, basilisk wrote:

Thanks ... met too.
I feel your pain. :)
I got real tired of the "human vanity" aspect of the horse business at a young age ... like breeding 1200 lb horses with feet that take 000 shoes because they "look better" to some fancy pants judge.
That, plus mucking 10 to 30 stalls a day for the first 17 years of life tends to suck the romanticism right outta of the equine "mystique".
Of course, I changed my tune again for a time in my twenties when noticing how just many lovely young ladies were horse crazy ... :)
Now, I try to stay out of horse conversations, particularly with my Dad, who will name every progenitor in the bloodline of this one, or that one, going back 20 generations, along with how much they, and each and every one of their offspring have won on the track, and the speed and distance at which it took them to do so. <yawn>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

;~) I cannot go anywhere without my dad remarking about every corner and what happened there 30 years ago.

Aren't you old enough now to remember for yourself what was on those street corners 30 years ago?
On Jan 15, 4:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

I actually had someone tell me to turn left at "that house where the Vanderburgs used to live"

I actually had someone tell me to turn left at "that house where the Vanderburgs used to live"
You musta been out in the country.... Every one knows where every one lives out there. ;~)

LOL.... One would think.... I know one day too soon I will miss his repeated comments.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:10:49 -0600, "Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.dotnet

That makes me think back to my dad who died in 1986. I remember some of the heated arguments we hand when I was younger. Now I'd give anything to say some of the things I should have said back then. Why do we wait until it's too late?

I think because usually we cannot get a word in edgewise. ;~) Take heart though, you can still say what you need to say to him.. he will hear you.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

OK then, I piloted an airplane at 12. I was under age to sign a contract myself when I bought my first house, but I did buy one. It was not easy because most realtors did not want to talk to be.
I'm not about to set off around the world in a boat, but that does not mean the 16 yo is not qualified. I don't know here or her experience so I'm not going to say if she should or not. Yes, it certainly has a lot of risk. I just don't see that any of us here can make the assessment as we don't know her, and her abilities, at all.

Just like going to the mall some days.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This business of "not driving a car" is local. I had a full driver's license at 16. One can get a pilot's license in the US at 16. Balamurali Ambeti was licensed to practice medicine in the state of New York at 17.

I don't see what age has to do with having experience being chased by pirates. As for being chased by rapers and murderers, one is far more likely to be chased by rapers and murderers on the way to high school than in the middle of the ocean, but if she was 21 or 31 or 41 or 101 she still wouldn't have any relevant experience in being chased by such unless she had phenomenally bad luck. As for "systems failing in a storm", the "systems" in question are ropes and pulleys--it's an effing _sailboat_ for God's sake, technology that was old when Alexander was leading his armies at her age.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

The whole pirate thing is a little overblown.
If you bother to read her proposed sail plan, this will be a nonstop, fast as possible given prudent safety issues such as avoiding ice bergs.
(The closer you sail to Antarctica, the shorter the trip, but the higher the risk.)
That route will put her a long way from known piracy activities.
Lew
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:56:14 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Posting a proposed route also gives pirates her location, potentially negating that safety margin. :/
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

These modern day pirates are after big settlements from insurance companies. I suppose that if the opportunity presented itself, they might hold her for ransom, but they want container ships and tankers.