O/T: Abby Sunderland

I am aware of that case and they were fools to go that deep into pirate territory.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think because usually we cannot get a word in edgewise. ;~) Take heart though, you can still say what you need to say to him.. he will hear you.

Reply to
Leon

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I know nothing of power on a sailboat.

The backpackers now have some super filtering divices for water. I beleive they use ceramic filters. Iunderstand that themilitaryhave these too. They filter out everything. Any way that something like this could be adapted to sailing?

Also, couldn't some solar panels and a little wind device be used to charge batteries?

Also, if you were sailing around the world, wouldn't you catch some fish to eat now and then? And would you have a way to cook it?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:13:48 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

It that happened to anyone, they might die, regardless of gender or age. Or they might figure out how to open the bags of tuna and eat them off the floor. YMMV. (There's an idea for stocking your BOB, huh?)

True, but knowledge doesn't necessarily mean the older person will know WTF to do when something strange happens. A crafty young person might well do better than a sedate old fart.

Tell ya what: You do that with your kid and let these fine folks raise their own the way they (and she) see fit. Deal? Good. ;)

Your opinion is noted. Their opinion is being acted upon. It's now a moot point, wot?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:07:43 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

They are. I had just brought them up for -fun-, a bit earlier in the thread.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No. You have to remove dissolved salt, which filters cannot do.

Only if you're becalmed. Abby isn't sailing your father's cruiser. An Open

40 can sustain 10 knots and hit 20 when she's got enough wind to drive her. Catching fish at that speed would be quite an adventure.
Reply to
J. Clarke

Pirates operate where there's profit to be made. That means shipping channels. There's precious little shipping in the Antarctic Ocean.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And how does being `18 or 28 or 180 make a difference when that happens?

Neither is a 40 year old's. So what?

I see. So how old would that be? And what is so special about sailing that she shouldn't be allowed to do that while she is allowed to cross the street and risk getting hit by a drunk driver?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I lost interest in anything Robatoy had to say a long time ago and I don't see anything from upscale either.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:22:29 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

What part of "Her parents have already thought it through, decided to let her go, and she's on the high seas now." bit did you guys miss?

I've survived a few bad choices (alcoholism, smoking, driving drunk, minor bits with minor drugs, climbing anything I could, thrill seeking, etc.) and some of it has formed into character. Other portions formed regrets. Risks are part of life. Children of all ages choose poorly at times. So what? Life goes on.

Are you saying that her parents forgot to consider risks?

Bwahahahahahaha! I loved that "some" part. I wonder which drugs you're still taking and what stuff you're still doin'...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Noooo problem, I was simply agreeing that I thought the parents were nuts for letting a youngster go and do something that few with far more experienced and knowledgeable have done. Then every one wanted to defend the childs maturity and knowledge. The child will probably do fine. But if something happened to my child I would blame myself forever for not being responsible as a parent. It is only common sense, which seems to be lacking here, to try to protet your children. Yeah your child stands a much greater chance of being hurt on land because they are going to spend 99% of their lives on land but on land help can be given and you do have to live some where. You have to pick your battles. Picking one where a child is alone for months on end performing a balancing act with mother nature would not be a wise one IMHO.

Reply to
Leon

You trigger your EPIRB and wait for rescue of course. It's the 21st century you know.

And how do you get rescued when you get nabbed by a pimp and shot full of drugs?

So how do you get rescued from being run over by a bus?

I pity your kids.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Many parents would rather it be them than their kid when anything bad happens. So what?

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:06:35 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

There are far fewer distractions. No friends in the seats around you, no other vehicles, no trees, no boys walking by (for her), no need to stay behind the wheel.

I'd still love to see the stats if anyone can dig 'em up.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As I stated before, lack of experience and mature judgment is a function of AGE, not activity.

Reply to
Swingman

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 09:20:52 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Is there a small possibility that SOME of the modern day pirates are also in it for the booty? The challenge? The audacity? The mean spiritedness? [additional questions here]

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry,, ;~) I think they baloon boy's parents could use you right about now in their defense.

Reply to
Leon

I think you forgot to add the possibility storms, and 40' waves..

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:11:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

*I* thought his hyperbole was dismissive and stupid. ;)
Reply to
Larry Jaques

What? Were we talking about 28 or 180 yearold people sailing? You are changing the subject.

Do you have kids? If you do,, did they always make their own decisions with out any of your input? Did you "ever" veto their decisions? Why?

I see. So how old would that be?

Answer this. Would you rather you or your child go into a dangerous situation.

And what is so special about sailing that

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 16 year old sailing. Did I say that a 16 year old sailing was a problem or was that you changing the landscape of the situation. It's the months on end around the world that adds the element of danger.

And if you cannot see the point.... it further clairifies your mentality.

Crossing the street only takes seconds of your time to pay close enogh attention to what you are doing. Sailing alone around the world require continuious attention. A better example to compair to would be to have your 16 year old daughter walk alone in a seedy part of town late at night, every night, for several months.

Reply to
Leon