O/T: Abby Sunderland

Charlie, I will grant you that "experience" does lead to better judgment, but not necessarily to mature judgment.

Look at the age range to better understand the "immaturity" aspect.

I really don't want to argue this any longer, but do appreciate your POV.

Thanks ...

Reply to
Swingman

If anything, that type of background likely makes you considered more of a risk by insurance companies. If you are smart, you won't mention any of that when applying for insurance. I'm pretty sure it would work against you. I also don't understand how you think that background makes you representative of an "average driver". The average driver is not a driving enthusiast. They drive for transportation. Most sailors, on the other hand, do not use sailboats for simple transport. They are virtually ALL enthusiasts.

Insurance companies don't insure based on individuals. They assign you to a group. They don't give a crap about you on a personal level.

There won't be insurance stats on circumnavigators, because 1.) There are so few circumnavigators, and, 2.) Ocean sailors mostly don't have insurance.

Reply to
salty

exactly. bringing us back to the OP question:

my point being, as a group, the 2 aren't comparable. one, or both, as you state, may not even be obtainable.

Reply to
charlie

*I* happen to know that South Texas is too hot for chocolate streets. I think you are pulling our legs.
Reply to
Robatoy

Reminds me of a stud horse in a dressage arena with a bunch of mares lined up for ribbons, first time I'd ever seen a horse in the judging booth.

He looks good, I hope he has many more years to ride, for me it is simply not my passion and therefore not worth the risk anymore.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

*Wire* ropes. With turnbuckles. ___________

Fine, let's see you make a knot in 7x19 wire rope. _____________

Fine, let's see you make a knot in 7x19 wire rope. Obviously, you know zero about sailing. _____________

It isn't the age so much as the (probable) lack of experience. For example...

  1. To/from Catalina with others.
  2. Crusing off shore to/from La Paz with others
  3. To/from Hawaii with others.
  4. All the above single handed.

Like that.

Experience (and common sense) really *does* count. I recall a fellow years ago that was - IIRC - near Ecuador. He dropped and broke his sextant. They found him nine months - *NINE MONTHS* - later out in the middle of the Pacific. He was still alive, subsisted on rain water and (mostly) plants and critters that grow on the bottom of boats. He had no idea where he was.

If he had any experience and the sense that god gave geese he would have known that you can sail downhill most anywhere in the world and hit land.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks ... met too.

I feel your pain. :)

I got real tired of the "human vanity" aspect of the horse business at a young age ... like breeding 1200 lb horses with feet that take 000 shoes because they "look better" to some fancy pants judge.

That, plus mucking 10 to 30 stalls a day for the first 17 years of life tends to suck the romanticism right outta of the equine "mystique".

Of course, I changed my tune again for a time in my twenties when noticing how just many lovely young ladies were horse crazy ... :)

Now, I try to stay out of horse conversations, particularly with my Dad, who will name every progenitor in the bloodline of this one, or that one, going back 20 generations, along with how much they, and each and every one of their offspring have won on the track, and the speed and distance at which it took them to do so.

Reply to
Swingman

Sense is especially lacking around these parts. Many figure...well hell, it's a LAKE, right? (Lake Huron)

Reply to
Robatoy

;~) I cannot go anywhere without my dad remarking about every corner and what happened there 30 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

Aren't you old enough now to remember for yourself what was on those street corners 30 years ago?

Reply to
upscale

I actually had someone tell me to turn left at "that house where the Vanderburgs used to live"

Reply to
Robatoy

Better yet look at upscales response.

Reply to
Leon

LOL.... One would think.... I know one day too soon I will miss his repeated comments.

Reply to
Leon

I actually had someone tell me to turn left at "that house where the Vanderburgs used to live"

You musta been out in the country.... Every one knows where every one lives out there. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:10:49 -0600, "Leon" LOL.... One would think.... I know one day too soon I will miss his

That makes me think back to my dad who died in 1986. I remember some of the heated arguments we hand when I was younger. Now I'd give anything to say some of the things I should have said back then. Why do we wait until it's too late?

Reply to
upscale

----------------------------- We are not talking about stink boats here but well found blue water boats designed for the task.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:45:27 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I'm guessing by stink boat, you're talking about some floating barge with all the buoyancy of a lead bucket. In any event, I was referring to the better boats, designed to be safer. Any boat can capsize in the open seas under the right circumstances, even with an experienced sailor.

Sorry, I'm not arguing this anymore.

Reply to
upscale

These modern day pirates are after big settlements from insurance companies. I suppose that if the opportunity presented itself, they might hold her for ransom, but they want container ships and tankers.

-------------------------------------------------- Actually, a British couple, experienced sailors, deep into their 50s, who basically sold the house and bought a boat to go cruising, are being held for ransom right now in Somalia.

The pirates are demanding $500K, the couple doesn't have it.

They chose to sail off the coast of Somalia and paid the price.

Poor decisions are not limited to the young.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

----------------------------------------------- "Stink boat", a term used by sailors to describe the toy power boats found in most marinas.

Anything under about 60-70 ft qualifies.

"Floating condos" best describes the larger ones including Tigers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My 30 foot sailboat has been knocked over flat on it's side a couple of times in severe conditions. The thing about sailboats is that they pop back up. The danger when it happens is that things and people go flying. In the sort of conditions where that can happen, all openings in the boat are shut and secured, and anyone topside is clipped in on a short tether.

It's not uncommon for the crew of a sailboat to call for rescue and be picked up, and then the boat is found floating months later with little actual damage.

The vast majority of sailboats that sink, do so while at their dock, tied up.

Reply to
salty