Glues in the cold performance

Just stumbled on this. Pertains to a few discussions below.

(not sure if this is free. I was already logged in.)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I does require login. How about summarizing it for us?

Reply to
keithw86

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:15:23 -0800 (PST), the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" scrawled the following:

I received a Marketing Research Discount coupon from Pop Wooddorking the other day. $15.96 for 2 years. Some of the projects looked interesting (Stickley repro, Odate dining table, Charlsworth stuff), and I get a digital copy of Roy Underwood's school thang. then I saw the "Add $2 for shipping and handling" note and wanted to scream. Anyway, 2 years of a woodworking mag for under $20 was a good deal so I took it. I emailed to find out when it would start. "Oh, it'll take

4-6 days to process and then you'll get the next issue, probably APRIL 2010.

-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I have had bad luck with subscriptions. Two magazine went out of business and one converted to an impossible to read digital format. The other subsituted a far inferior magazine.

Another never went through and since it went through paypal, the wait time to recieve the magazines was beyond their period to protest. So I got screwed out the money on that one.

And everybody said it would take up to four months to recieve the first isue.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I bit that bait also... and the $2 extra is BS. Do they think we are stupid???? Apparently so.... Just say $17.95 and quit trying to trick us. They sent me a DVD last spring and I tossed it, then they wanted me to pay for it, which I gave them no response to for any of the 3 or 4 follow up letters. I clearely added to my coupon to not send any thing that I do not order unless they are giving it away.

Reply to
Leon

Uh, by law in the US if they send you something you did not order they _did_ give it away.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In summary, how cold can you use common woodworking glues?

Titebond I will only set up if the temperature is 50 degrees F or more Titebond II, 55 degrees Titebond III, 47 degrees Titebond liquid hide glue, 50 degrees Titebond Polyurethan, 50 degrees Gorilla Glue Polyurethane, 40 degrees Gorilla Glue PVA, 50 degrees.

I've tried TB II at around 47 degrees. I found it took much longer than the normal 30 minutes to set up.

Some epoxies will work in the 40-50 degree range, but take much longer to set up.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Lee Valley's 2002 GF wood glue is pretty close to TBIII as far as cold weather performance.

"Cold Cure" epoxy from Industrial Formulators (available at LV) claims to cure (eventually) at 35F.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Exactly and also why is never responded.

Reply to
Leon

UNLESS, and this is the big one, Unless as part of the subscription these "offers" were authorized. Then you owe for them or are responsible to return them. In some cases when you subscribe you promise to buy a minimum of X of their offers for whatever their "special" price is over a given period of time.

Reply to
clare

Well, the scum that run Woodworkers Journal/Rockler sent me a DVD recently, which, like Leon, I also tossed away unopened. I've also had several bills sent. I have had nothing to do with WWJ/Rockler for about 3 years, which is when they tried this same scam for one of their books. Back then I ended my subscription to WWJ, and have not purchased a single thing from them or their parent Rockler chain stores since. At the best, they are using shady business tactics, at the worst it is an out and out scam. No "authorized" offers here.

There are other magazines and woodworking vendors who will ethically supply my woodworking needs. On the plus side, this attempt to bamboozle me has given me a new hobby. I now try to convince every woodworker I meet to avoid spending a nickel with the Rockler/WWJ organization. If, over a period of the next few years, I manage to convince a few hundred people to spend their money elsewhere, I will feel I succeeded.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:10:43 -0600, the infamous Roy scrawled the following:

which, like Leon, I also

do with WWJ/Rockler

books. Back then I

or their parent

tactics, at the worst it is

Sad. WWJ used to be THE publication to get. That was a long while ago.

Reply to
Larry Jaques