O/T: Abby Sunderland

RE: Subject
She's under way.
After a week's weather delay, she eft Marina Del Rey today, escorted by a flotilla of sailboats, headed for "The Cape" and points east.
Lew
RE: Subject
Per her blog, she is off Guadalupe and getting settled in.
Lew
RE: Subject
Per her 01/30/109 blog, she is headed into port at Cabo for repairs.
Looks like all those electrical toys are consuming more power than she can generate.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

And she's learned an important life less. Never trust the specs on _anything_ if anything important depends on it meeting them.
J. Clarke wrote:

Arrrgh. Life less_on_.

And thinking on it--it never occurred to me that she needed all that generating capacity just to carry the load--I assumed that she had redundancy--that she could run on any one of her sources, not that she needed all three in order to function. If that's the case then I'm with the doomsayers.
Per her 02/06/10 blog, she is outbound from Cabo after some serious electrical repairs along with some tankage issues.
Solved electrical short in mast problem.
Added battery capacity to 885 AH which more than doubles battery capacity.
IMHO, should have been that much in the first place.
Added 70 gallons of diesel to 130 gallons to supply engine to drive alternator.
I guess this is still classed as a sail boat.
To reduce drive belt wear, chose to derate alternator output rather than replace single belt drive with dual belt drive required to truly get full output on a sustained basis.
There is still no windvane steering, even as a backup, on this boat.
Bottom line....................................................
This is a boat full of electrical toys dependant on keeping an engine system operative to regenerate DC power without any real backup system.
If she loses the engine, will she be forced to hand steer?
The rather modest solar panels and dual wind mills MAY BE able to supply enough power for the autopilot, but probably not much more.
I bid her well, but I have this feeling in my gut.......................
Time will tell.
Lew -------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Per her 02/16/10 blog ============================Tuesday, February 16, 2010 Skype and Wind! Today has been a really good day. It started out much like all the others, 90 degrees while pouring rain and rolling around not going anywhere. I'm officially in the doldrums, and they are not fun. But today the wind picked up to 20 - 30 kts and it made today one of the best I've had in awhile!
-----------------------------------.

Guess she'll have to return to Cabo San Lucas to acheive her record, then up to Cali to go home. Good luck to her. Tom

Posted 02/20/2010 on her blog ------------------------------------- Over the Line I crossed the equator at about 3 yesterday!!
It's really exciting to have finished the first leg of my trip, even if it is a small one... on to the Horn!! The equator itself isn't the most exciting thing in the world. There is no line through the middle of the world or anything, in fact, the southern side of the world is very much like the northern side!
I was a little worried that I would end up crossing the equator twice in one day! I had hardly any wind getting across. About a mile over the equator the wind died completely and all I had was a current pushing me backwards!
The wind has picked up a little now. I'm not racing along or anything but I'm moving and the wind should be picking up more soon. I think crossing the equator once a day is plenty and I'm glad I didn't have to do it again!
It looks like its going to be another warm day today. At 7 this morning and it was already 90 degrees out!! Abby ----------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Posted 02/20/2010 on her blog headed for the horn. -------------------------------------- Tuesday, February 23, 2010 Getting Wind I've finally got some good wind. I'm close hauled with about 15kts out of the SE. I've had to go a little farther west then I would have liked but the wind should be shifting around soon, coming more from the east so I'll be able to head directly south. Its a bit bumpy out today. Wild Eyes is plowing along and doing great!
Its too hot to stay down below for too long, so I'm sitting up in the cockpit typing this, but every now and then a big wave crashes over the boat which is not making this very easy for me!
Yesterday I found that something bit the lure off the line I've had out. The more I thought about what it was that did it, the less I felt the need to jump in and go for a swim...
It's really very nice out today. If it was maybe 20 degrees cooler it would be just about perfect! But the cold is coming and in a few weeks I'll most likely be wishing I was back here in the heat!
------------------------------------------ "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Posted 03/27/2010
She is headed for the "Horn"
If interested, link will get you to her blog.
http://tinyurl.com/y9kdowu

Posted 03/31/2010
She is around the "Horn"
Headed for Africa.
http://tinyurl.com/y9kdowu
Lew ----------------------------------------------

Thanks, Lew. The sailing groups are so full of sludge these days, I've given up on them. So I haven't been following her progress as closely as I wanted.
I'm glad the kid is around the Horn. That's a significant milestone.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb /

Posted 04/24/2010
Autopilot failure will force Abby to stop in Capetown for repairs. ---------------------------------------------- So much for electronics on board a small vessel at sea.
Personally, I'd not go to sea without a windvane.
Electronic autopilots are for stink boats in protected waters IMHO, not sea going blue water sailboats.
Details available at:
http://tinyurl.com/y9kdowu
Lew

From her 05/05/2010 blog: