Just got a bandsaw

It's a paraffin wax. Whether or not that's a lubricant is debatable.

As much as the old timers love to spend all day waxing their tool tops, I would think they'd be flocking to Boeshield.

Reply to
-MIKE-

BTW, I have to call BS on that "opposite" statement. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

disagree on topic in an on topic post should be killfiled?

One post is hardly "arguing incessantly".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Take the hook out of your mouth. It's the same hook you cast occasionally. You should know how it works here.

One post is hardly "arguing incessantly".

Reply to
m II

Not sure exactly however there was nothing caked up anywhere on the machine. They recommend a Teflon lubricant so I use a product called Triflon. I have only had to apply it once or twice in the last 4 or so years.

Reply to
Leon

It leaves my saw table more sticky than without it. Since it lives in an Alabama garage, sticky isn't the worst of the alternatives, however.

Reply to
krw

Good to know. Thanks. We're taking a trip up to Atlanta tomorrow so I'll give the Lagunas in the Woodcraft and Rockler stores a good look.

Reply to
krw

T-9? Really? Do you have a Teflon saw table? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

BTW, where are in AL? I get down there on gigs quite often. Would love to meet up in person.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Keep in mind that Laguna BS'S are built in at least 2 countries, I suspect that the latest versions might be Aasian. The HD series are Italian, and the non HD versions used to be build in Bulgaria IIRC. To the best ofmy knowledge however the guides on all the saws are of the

10 point ceramic variety. If Minimax is there give them a good look too.
Reply to
Leon

I dont in particular care for Boeshield. I have a 12 year old can with most of it full. Originally I used it on my TS top but found that it had to be wiped/cleaned off before use. I found it to be more of a preservative than "top slicker upper". Topcote seems to be the only thing that I am aware of that goes on easy and needs no other attention. I seldom wipe the surface off as instructed on the can.

Reply to
Leon

You should just STFU Gymmy Bob/Josepi. But you wont.. you are that f'rkin stupid. george

Reply to
George Watson

Reply to
J. Clarke

T-9 sprayed on and not wiped off before drying remains tacky for a long time.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Heavy coat instructions say to spray without wiping, which is obviously what you are doing.

I've always followed the instructions for a light coating and wiped after spraying. (insert joke, here) I may try a heavy coat on something like my jointer just to try to duplicate your results.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I was using Boeshield in a generic sense to represent spray on dry lubricants because I couldn't remember the name of the specific product I've been using. Guess I should have gone out to the shop and looked before posting :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I can say with certainly that you used Kleenex® to wipe it off. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well, my field trip was somewhat fruitful (scored a Forrest Dado King at 25% off, at Highland Woodworking) and I took a good look at the LT14 and LT14x14SUV at Woodcraft (and the latter at Rockler). There is enough difference that I think I'll eventually go with the LT14x14SUV even though it's about 75lbs heavier and $300 more.

I looked closely at the tensioning mechanism. It's certainly not filled with grease but there was oil dripping off it. It certainly wasn't a dry lubricant.

Aack! HD series? I don't see any "HD" designations on their site. Laguna is stretching my (self-imposed) budget and weight limit.

Minimax doesn't make a 14" saw and their 16" is significantly more expensive (can't find the price right now but it's > $3000, IIRC) and way too heavy (530lbs). That's a non-starter.

Reply to
krw

Auburn (Opelika).

Reply to
krw

When I got the saw I was waffling between Topcoat and Boeshield (after reading this group ;). I decided to go with Boeshield but I did put it on with the "heavy treatment" instructions (since have slacked off toward a thinner coat). It's done its job in keeping the top rust free (though there are some marks on it) but it's certainly not as "slick" as the bare cast iron.

Reply to
krw