Help: Drive belt coming off of Jet 14" bandsaw

I just purchased a new Jet 14" open stand bandsaw. For whatever reason, the drive belt from the motor to the lower wheel keeps walking off of the motor shaft. I've tried different tensions on the belt. There just are not many variables to tweak. I'm stuck with a bandsaw I cannot use.

Anyone with this bandsaw have a similar experience?

Reply to
Jerry

If the belt is coming off the pulley, then the drive and driven pulleys are not aligned correctly. If the pulley is walking off the motor shaft, make sure the key is in place and the allen set screw(s) are tighten properly. Its one or the other or both.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

From what he wrote, it almost sounds as if he didn't have a pully on the motor shaft at all :-)

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Surely you have a dealer or at least a phone number to Jet service. How are you stuck?

I've always had good results calling Jet service for troubleshooting, useage and replacement services.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

I had the same problem. It's not enough to have the lower and upper pullys aligned: the lower pully must be mounted straight.

Just so everybody knows, the enginner who designed the motor mounts for the Powermatic closed-based bandsaw . . .?

His parents were NOT MARRIED!

*ahem*

I had the upper pully directly mounted over the lower one, which was on the arbor of the motor. What I couldn't tell was that the motor wasn't mounted quite straight, so the V-belt kept walking off.

I'm calmer now. If I'd met him immediately after assembling that saw, I'd have kicked him in the groin. Now I'll just give him the wedgie of his life.

Anyway, make sure that your pullys are not > Jerry wrote:

Reply to
mcnutt

Heheh. I did, I laughed out loud.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Oddly, in every set of setup instructions I've seen for belt-driven machines, this is mentioned. That's why they want you to align motor and pulleys with a long straightedge. Co-planar, not just aligned.

Reply to
George

No, the instructions have no metion of alignment. Not even in the troubleshooting section. Nor a discussion of the belt walking off of the pulleys.

In this BS, the motor mounts on the side of the frame containing the lower wheel. The motor has two bolts that attach -- one has a slot that allows the motor to pivot so that the belt can be tensioned.

The pulley seems well seated and keyed on the motor shaft. There really isn't any obvious adjustment. May have to shim the motor to adjust the parallelism between the motor pulley and the lower wheel.

Reply to
Jerry

Probably close enough to the Delta 28-245 in my shop. Go to Delta's site for a free manual. Page 6.

Reply to
George