roller base for Rikon 14" bandsaw

I just bought the 14" Rikon deluxe bandsaw. I didn't want to lift it any more times than was necessary so I went ahead and bought a Jet roller stand for it before I even put it together. Everything went great until I tried to open the door to the storage compartment. The wheel housing on the roller stand stops it dead.

Not to be deterred, I switched the wheels so that they were on the side rather than the front. this seemed like a fine solution until I actually tried to roll it. It immediately tried to fall toward me and I nearly got a hernia keeping it upright.

I have it in my trunk to take back to Woodcraft at lunch today but got to thinking that I could bolt it to a piece of 3/4" ply which would then sit inside the base, so that I could make the footprint larger thus resulting, I hope, in a more stable base and a usable storage compartment.

the drawbacks are that I would have a larger footprint, which in my garage shop is to be avoided when possible, and it will raise it up that much more, which at my (lack of) height is also to be avoided when possible.

anyone have any input? Does someone have a roller stand on their rikon they can recommend? has someone used the plywood method and wants to scare me away from it?

thanks in advance

Reply to
jeffgee

I had an 18" Rikon for 2 weeks and returned it for other reasons. I used the Rockler mobile base kit on the Rikon and it did OK but was not real stable. I had to be very careful when moving it around. Moving on I bought a HD series Laguna. Laguna has a very simple approach that you might consider for your mobility. Laguna has 2 holes in the left end of the base with a 1/2" round steel axle running through the holes. 1 wheel on each end and a cotter pin to hold the wheels on. On the right end of the saw you use a Johnson bar with wheels to lift and roll the saw around.

Roe an actual picture, take a look below.

Reply to
Leon

I don't have a Rikon, I do have a 14" bandsaw. My base is ply (perhaps with

2x4s, don't recall) on casters. Ditto 16" drill press. Ditto 6" joiner.
Reply to
dadiOH

I just bought the 14" Rikon deluxe bandsaw. I didn't want to lift it any more times than was necessary so I went ahead and bought a Jet roller stand for it before I even put it together. Everything went great until I tried to open the door to the storage compartment. The wheel housing on the roller stand stops it dead.

I bought the same bandsaw and purchased the Universal Base from Woodcraft

Works like a charm. No balance issues OR compartment access problems.

David

Reply to
Just David

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Woodcraft

Works like a charm. No balance issues OR compartment access problems.

Thanks David (and everyone who responded),

I went for the universal base, and got the added bonus that since it's going on sale next week they gave me the sale price.

Reply to
jeffgee