To Leather Hone or Not? That is the question.

I'm hoping to buy a Worksharp 3000 in the very near future and was wondering if y'all think it's worth the extra $30 to buy the glass disk and leather honing pad. I currently sharpen my chisels and plane irons with the Scary Sharp method and was looking for something faster and more precise. Thanks.

Dale

Reply to
dale martin

I own the WS3000 and use it without the benefit of the leather hone. Although I may not realize what I'm missing, the patch of hair on the back of my wrist from checking the last chisel's sharpness is just now starting to grow back.

My advice is hold off until after you've had some experience with the tool and judge for yourself based what you do with your chisels/plane irons.

However, I would indeed consider the purchase of an extra glass wheel for those cases where you want coarser grits to rectify chips and gouges of previously misused chisels/plane irons, or to quickly re-establish the correct angle on a tool after previous inaccurate hand sharpening.

For my own use, I think I'll hold what I've got (one extra glass wheel for the purpose stated above, loaded with 80/120).

... that said, you're going to enjoy the net result of using this "scary sharp on steroids" system, guaranteed.

Reply to
Swingman

I bought a WS3000 recently and tested the results of honed/non-honed on a couple of chisels and a couple of Flexcut carving tools. It got them quite sharp without honing, but after honing they were even sharper. The difference was noticeable.

I think you'll be happy without it, but if you try it, you'll use it.

Reply to
DS

The leather hone will put a keen edge on the tool but the leather wheel is more appreciated for polishing the surface to a mirror finish. The mirror finish helps to cut down on friction and helps the tool slide into the wood fibers more easily. If you are happy with the edge you are getting I'd say save your money. If you are using your chisels or tools with out the benefit of a mallet or hammer and using your brute strength to push the tool into the wood a mirror surface will probably benefit you.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah. Just got one. Reconditioned an old and nicked chisel. Easy. Fast. I haven't tried anything else yet, but for a start, it seems excellent. It does what the maker says. Migod.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Amazing ain't it ... and the best part may well be the 'non Festool like' price. :)

Reply to
Swingman

You could probably still buy a $400 systainer for it if you wanted though...

Reply to
DS

it be had for less else where? Here it is for $199. System Includes: Two glass wheels with 2-pcs. 120, 4-pcs. 400, 4-pcs. 1000 grit papers, 1-pc. 3600 grit Micromesh and a slotted wheel with 1-pc. 80,

2-pcs. 400 and 2-pcs. 1200 grit papers. Also includes a top tool rest and a cleaning stick. 110 Volt operation. Two year manufacturer's warranty

Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

What is the main advantage of the slotted wheel? Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

"Tom Bunetta" wrote

The concept is that when the slotted wheel spins, you can see through it, just like you can fan blades. This allows you to better guide the sharpening of the tool, which is sharpened from below the slotted wheel.

Since I use the WS3000 only to sharpen chisels and plane irons, I've not even tried the slotted wheel feature.

Reply to
Swingman

I've been using the slotted wheel, and really like it. It's great to be able to see the edge you're sharpening AS you sharpen it.

Reply to
DS

DS wrote in news:kv8Qj.81076$TT4.10726@attbi_s22:

I find it kinda neat to watch the cutting of a spade bit on the drill press. It's kind neat to watch a hole appear right in front of your eyes! Sounds like the same type of experience.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper