Ok, gonna show my ignorance here

Been a loooong time since math in school, and a little embarassed to have to ask this. If I have a hole I want to line with felt, what is the formula for figuring the length of felt to cut? Thanks guys.

Reply to
Paul

If memory serves me right.......

c=(pi)x d or 3.14 x dia.

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

I always remember the difference between circumference and area by thinking of the Ty-D-Bol Man. The Ty-D-Bol Man goes around the bowl (circumference). Ty-D rhymes with Pi(d)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Felt has thickness, so technically, the calc of the hole won't be correck, altho the diff could be negligible.

Another way to get a perfect fit with no calc at all is to cut it a bit long, wrap it on the hole, and just cut the overlap (winding up with two drops), for a perfect fit.

Reply to
Existential Angst

If you remember that there are 2*Pi radians in a circle, it also gives you C=2(Pi)r, or C=(Pi)d.

If you've had calculus, thinking of the area of the circle as the collection of "skins" having thickness dr, you can integrate C dr over the interval [0,R] to get A=Pi R^2. At least, that's one way. I just mention this for the readers that are math fans.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Did you know they eventually, after pleading and begging, put lemon in the Ty-D-Bowl, mon....? *cue some steel drums, mon*

Reply to
Robatoy

A poor farmer worked long and hard to send his eldest son to college. He looked forward to saying with pride that the family finally had their first college graduate. Son grew up, went off to college. His father continued working hard to pay the tuition. Four years later, son came home with a diploma. Excited to know what the son had learned, his father asked him to tell him something. Son replied "Pi r2," which the father heard as "pie are squared." Shocked and angered, the poor old father tore his straw hat off his head in disgust, threw it onto the ground and yelled at his son: "You dingbat! Pie are ROUND...cornbread are square!"

Reply to
willshak

2 pi lemons are round. 2 lemon pis are round.

I learnt that on the farm!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Are you saying you never felt the inside of a hole? =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

What does that have to do with a toilet?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this thread just went off the rails.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think you are right, but when the question was asked the direction was inevitable.

Reply to
k-nuttle

It does make you wonder what he is making..........

Reply to
Robatoy

Well technically the thickness of the felt has noting to do with the calculation. He wants to line the hole with felt. That distance is what you will need to use to cut the felt. If he cuts the felt longer than the perimeter of the hole it will not lay flat. If he cuts the felt shorter than the perimeter of the hole it will be too short. The only length that is important is the surface. Felt thickness will compress.

What if the hole is 1/2" in diameter or smaller?

Reply to
Leon

I was just offering another mnemonic device... I have nothing against toilets.

Reply to
Bill

If - he measures the inside diameter and uses the formula for the inside circumference to get the length of the felt.

Reply to
willshak

except your ass. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to put some felt on my toilet...

Reply to
Bill

Don't they still make those soft padded toilet seat covers?

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, you mean the ones that keep the seat from staying up...lol

Reply to
Bill