I ordered mine!

More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that is all you pay. I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool ships in

2-3 weeks.

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or

  1. Mine as is will allow a joint of 2.125" wide. The BridgeCity Tool Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at BCT.
Reply to
Leon

I received mine last Monday. I ordered it back in July... Expect some delays as mine came one and a half month later than expected... But the wait was well worth it.

It is surprisingly small but such a clever design. I can't wait to test it out.

BB

Reply to
B B

What's a.b.p.w and where can I see that drawing?

Reply to
SBH

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I did the same right after watching the video. I've wanted one of those for a long time - I just didn't know what it looked like. :-/

With your drawings to guide me, I'm thinking I'd like to build a big one in Spring for joints up to 7-1/2" wide...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Will it talk to the CNC router? ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hi,

I received mine last Monday. I ordered it back in July... Expect some delays as mine came one and a half month later than expected... But the wait was well worth it.

It is surprisingly small but such a clever design. I can't wait to test it out.

BB

The web site indicated December. The girl said 2-3 weeks.

Reply to
Leon

You know Morris when I realized that it would only handle 2" I wondered if It would be satisfying. hummmm

Uh meee er uh.... I had the same thought. If I need bigger I'll build a bigger one. The BCT jig is elegant and compact, I thought with smaller needs that it may be a better choice for the smaller applications.

Because of the intricacy in my drawings and the small parts I think it would be easier to mill longer pieces and cut up several.

Reply to
Leon

I do believe there is an "app" for that. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Probably not. This little gizmo allows the 'Bot to discover everything it needs to about the workpiece and the cutting tool all by itself...

it doesn't work for the table saw or RAS, which is where I expect the jig from Bridge City to shine.

I do enough one-off shop projects with 2x stock that I think the larger size might also be useful.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

I agree it's clever and useful but IMHO about double the price that it should be. I venture a guess that Rockler will have a knockoff around $30 - $40 down the road.

Reply to
Vic Baron

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:52:26 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Erm, what kind of MEGAdado blade is that wide, Morris?

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably true, and shortly thereafter we may see a Chinese knockoff going for $9.95.

I thought about that before I ordered - and decided that I liked the quality of thought behind the gizmo well enough to reward the inventor for producing what appears to be a good solution to one of my problems.

I suspect everyone's mileage varies on this, but I haven't seen much inventive problem solving coming out of Rockler's shop or, for that matter, from Guangzhou or Shanghai - and I've seen less and less of it in the US (and I'm sure there must be a reason).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

It's an ordinary blade making however many passes it takes. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

If nothing else, Rockler's (prices for their) gadgets often inspires me to build, myself, what they are trying to sell me. Even when their jigs and such and on sale, they are too expensive for what the are and for how easy they are to build.

I do love when they have a ridonculous sale on knobs and t-bolts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks for the drawing.

I hate a.b.p.w... its a pers> More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I completely agree. And I understand about rewarding the inventor. I just laid out almost $200 for a product called MortisePal, even though I have several home made shop mortise jigs. Just thought this one was fast, simple and almost fool proof and so far it has been a breeze to do loose tenon and dowel joints with the router.

Reply to
Vic Baron

If you put a stacked dado in there to start with it should require far fewer passes.

Reply to
Leon

You are welcome!

I hate a.b.p.w... its a personal problem. I use Google reader and so I have to search for the usnet replayer to find the pictures. It's just a hassle, why can't there be a link?

I understand, I now use a 3rd party to see what's there myself. I may one day have my own site but it is not on the front burner.

So... if you don't mind, I copied the pdf to a linked location here

Leon