I ordered mine!

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:33:28 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Holy Shit, Batman! You're going to notch out 7.5 INCHES at a bit under 1/8 inch at a time? You either have autistic or Downs genes in your line, boy. Nobody normal has patience by that sized truckload. 'Course, normal isn't the norm here on the Wreck, is it? ;)

Why you no use CNC, kemosabe? Maybe stack 6-up on the crosscut sled with two stops, then CNC 'em out (if you get tearout with your bit.)

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm actually more likely to use my ancient Sears wobble dado and cut

3/4" at a time, and it's still possible that I've escaped the bounds of normality - I'm the only software guy I know of who has taken more than nine years to get a single program running. Twice. :)

While I really like the CNC router for precise, intricate production work, using it for a one-off project usually means writing a part program, tearing down the fixturing, setting up for this job, debugging the part program, running my one-off parts, tearing that down, and reinstalling the original fixturing.

Sometimes it's just easier, more fun, and more satisfying to fire up the old Unisaur. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The kerfmaker jig has a 1/2" kerf limitation. ;~( Yeah I know put the wobbler on after establishing the outside cuts but that involves adjusting for proper height again. But if you build a bigger'n ........

Yeah! nothing like using your hands a bit more. LOL. CNC is to a TS as a TS is to Hand Saw.

Reply to
Leon

How about making the first and last cuts to establish the 7-1/2" joint width, take out 95% of the remaining waste with a single cut on the bandsaw (or jigsaw, depending on the board), then use a dozen or so passes with the stacked dado to nibble away the rest?

Reply to
Steve Turner

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:23:44 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Ouchouchouchouchouch.

Grok that.

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:08:48 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner scrawled the following:

Yeah, endcuts with the TS, then get out my Makita angle grinder with the Lancelot head on it. We be nibblin' _then_! Arr arr arr!

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Why not take it all out with the dado rather than make it a 3 step operation?

Reply to
Leon

No ouches. In retrospect, both efforts seem worthwhile - and both programs nibbled at the edges of how something might be "known". The first program dealt with knowledge and context in a "static" sense, and the second dealt with some of the "dynamics" of knowing. I had planned to write a third program to explore the interrelatedness of knowledge, but ran out of time (I guesstimated that the third program would take more than fifteen years to get right).

Whether any of that was worthwhile for its own sake is uncertain - but I'm quite sure that the effort added up to good learning experience. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

So you don't have 7 tons of sawdust and unnecessarily dull your dado blades?

Reply to
Steve Turner

Yeah, I'll go with sawdust and dulling my dado blades. I am thinking it is going to be hard to remove waste from a dado with a BS. And that in particular is what dado blades are use for. Now I am thinking that I should use a hand saw so as to not dull my TS blade. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:ycKdnaCjpN-j6GnXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You need a CNC water jet saw. It'll make perfectly precise cuts without ever dulling the cutting material at all. Get one with an optional laser attachment, and rabbets and mortises become possible.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Would I need to use a hair dryer on the wood afterward? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Well, we haven't established what kind of board the 7-1/2 wide joint is being cut in, have we? If it's a 4" wide board with a 2" deep dado, then I think *I* will choose to remove the waste with a bandsaw, and I don't think it would be hard at all. And in *particular*, dado blades are typically designed to be dialed in to a specific width, say 31/64",

23/32", 3/4", or whatever, using a single pass to receive say, a shelf board of that particular thickness. If you want to use a dado blade to hog out 58 cubic inches of of waste wood, be my guest, but it seems kinda dumb to me. I'd much rather remove the majority of the waste by other means and simply use the dado blade to smooth out the bottom of the joint.
Reply to
Steve Turner

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:13:00 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Indeed! Please send pics of you cutting several dozen perfectly flat

7.5" dadoes in oak tubafores with your coping saw.

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 11:49:41 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Crapsman wobble dado = ouch #1, and that's a biggie.

And if you don't think that constitutes an ouch, you're freakin' nerveless!

In this case, it soitenly reflects the saying "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mine cost less than $15 and has done an adequate job at what I've wanted it to do for almost forty years. For me, that's not an ouch.

That folks whose focus is building fine furniture don't like the not-perfectly-flat bottomed kerf doesn't bother me. I don't build furniture, and when I /need/ a flat-bottomed kerf I choose a different tool.

Hmm - I don't /feel/ nerveless, and for as long as I can remember I've thought that saying something was "impossible" was a poor excuse for not making it possible.

The old saw about the impossible just taking a bit longer contains more than a modicum of truth. I know people who spent more time developing a better golf game, polishing their musical abilities, or perfecting brush strokes than I spent on my endeavors.

Not so in these cases - I produced demonstratable general solutions to both entire classes of problems in a form that I could (and did) share with other people. When I published the first, Steve "the Waz" Wozniac flew out to take me to dinner and warned me there were perhaps five people in the world who could understand what I'd done, but we agreed that the solution was worth the effort - and that I'd opened a new doorway for others to walk through.

The techniques and methods learned raised the quality of the work that I did and allowed me to provide the folks who paid me to help solve their problems with results that were universally better, faster, /and/ less costly than they expected.

Resources expended are only an "ouch" if wasted. I don't think I've wasted (or am wasting) much of mine - that's something everyone has to decide for themselves (and, as Frost pointed out, there are /always/ roads not taken).

I have other things to do with what a stacked dado set would cost, and other tools that do its job even better. I can live with my wobbler. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I have to say, I think I still have mine around here some where.

I really cannot say that using the wobble blade make ne nervous either. It is well balanced. For me it's drawbacks were rounded bottoms, not so smooth cuts, and damn hard to accurately adjust the width. IIRC tightening the arbor nut seemed to always change the width setting.

Reply to
Leon

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:37:57 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Very cool! Kudos.

Oh, I thought you were doing this on your own time. Getting paid for it is great, much less of an 'ouch', especially when you solved the problems.

Yabbut, it's a _Crapsman_!

-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us...

Larry Jaques

"Leon" wrote in news:kP6dnajDQrRFbWjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I've got one of those wobble dados in question. It sure does adjust when tightening the arbor nut. It does good enough in cutting, but boy is it difficult to adjust the width. If width is important, it's just not worth the trouble.

Were I hogging out several large sections (say for half lap joinery), it would be worth using. For box joints or anything where width is important, it's just not worth it.

Hey Morris, think we could use the sun's rays to make a laser saw?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You were correct. I wasn't paid for solving those problems, but developing the solutions turned out to be just the learning exercise I needed to be /invited/ to help solve other interesting problems for which people were willing to pay more.

Yeah well, what can I say? I bought it in '73 to make a set of trivets on the RAS for my (now) ex. The trivets came out well enough that the ex packed 'em carefully when she left. The Sears wobbler, at least, still works like new.

I think I'll stop talking now. :-/

Reply to
Morris Dovey