I need a swivel or bearing for a lazy susan style turntable.

Page 3 of 4

will

Tapered roller bearings, as you and others keep mentioning, are ideal. Buy trailer spindles and bearings from some place like Northern and use 'em.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeIdi70&productId135&R135

attached

Thanks. That is basically what I'm going to use. I'm having a 1/4" plate welded to the axle stub that can be bolted to my work bench. I will extend the table down using rings of MDF almost to the bench top. This will give me a heavy platform that will look like a big 24" round cake sitting on my bench. I may even decorate it to look like a cake.:) I would like to thank those who offered solutions without insulting me because I wouldn't provide them with an end use.
The end use is unique and as far as I know has never been attempted in a hobby shop. A similar device is used to craft products weight several tons however. That company also keep their process very secret.:)
However, anyone handy, should be able to appreciate how useful a simple heavy duty spinny table could be for all sorts of projects. I expect this turntable to see plenty of use in my shop.

Thanks again George. I canceled my order for a used hub with a plate welded on and ordered a nice new 6 bolt heavy duty unit from Princess Auto very like the northerntool unit. For some reason no one locally sells a hub of this type. I went for one that has a nice long axle stub that can be dropped into a 1 1/2 pipe that I'll build into a small steel work bench I have on wheels so I can use this outdoors as well. I may even put power to this puppy to get a nice steady 150 RPM.:)
Blair
snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid says...

Seems to me you are doing quite a dance to keep from saying exactly what you're going to use it for. Is it illegal? Or just embarrassing? Or are you just being obstinate?

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:02:14 -0700, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid spake:

With an attitude like that, you don't deserve any more help from any of us. Whadda maroon.
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

None of you gave me any help you moron. I already had a solution. A hub from a utility trailer bolted to my work bench. I was looking for a 'ready to wear' more elegant solution in a bearing assembly. Something already out there. Lee Valley had already said a lazy susan bearing would not work but that didn't stop some of you from insisting they were wrong.
BTW you putz I hold 3 patents that have paid me over $12,000 dollars in the past ten years. Peanuts for sure but it isn't my job, it a result of always trying to make my hobbies more efficient. I'm a hobby woodworker and gardener, and full time computer tech, not a pretend engineer like some of you morons.
So piss off. I politely gave all the information needed to explain my problem. Then I was insulted because I wouldn't give you detailed plans of my end use. You don't need to know my end use to answer the question.
I have a welding shop attaching a flange to the axle stub of a utility trailer hub assembly right now. It is perfect for my needs, no thanks to this group of ignoramuses.
HAND
on 4/11/2005 11:51 AM snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid said the following:

It's really a shame that some folks have to get testy like this when they toss out a plea for help to a group of "unknowns."
It's also a shame that when folks attempt to help them, take the time to "really get into the problem" in an effort to help are thwarted or, worse yet, ridiculed by the very person they sought to help simple because they 1) chose to share their personal experiences, 2) asked more questions so as to make an informed suggestion or 3) had the audacity to suggest that perhaps a clerk at a woodworking supply emporium - even one as well thought of as Lee Valley - MIGHT not be endowed with infallibility.
As for that, perhaps you gave Lee Valley more information than you gave us. Maybe you didn't ask them at all? I realize that the above information may have been "snipped" but I find it difficult to believe they would tell you it wouldn't work since they have a numnber of "lazy susan" devices that will handle up to 1,000 lbs and could be had in a size that would rival the size of the turntable itself albeit at a loss of capacity in that it would only hold 660 lbs.
I'm glad you found something perfect for your needs. Did it include a gift certificate to a Dale Carnegie Course or a class in effective writing?
Plonk!
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:33:49 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

A plea for help. LOL! Get real moron. Is that what this group has sunk to, a bunch of know nothings expecting people to kiss their ass to SHARE knowledge they don't have? I have graciously answered far more questions in this group over the years than I ever asked.
What a shame. There was a time when this group had decent knowledgeable people who enjoyed sharing their knowledge and EXPERIENCE. Not a bunch of power tripping bozos with only enough knowledge to be dangerous, and NO experience.
HAND
on 4/11/2005 12:49 PM snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid said the following:

JOB?
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:54:07 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

I suspect THAT, unlike woodworking, is something you have countless hours of 'hands on' experience. I'll keep you email handy just in case I ever have any questions about 'jerking off' and need a professional opinion.<g>
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:33:49 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

Who shared their personal experience? Name the poster who has built a table like this. You can't, because NO ONE shared their personal experience.
Several clueless individuals even suggested Lee Valley was wrong about their own product.
Your nym is perfect for you. You are confused, and I suspect you will always be that way.
snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid wrote:

Just curious, what patents do you hold?
Jeff

They are for ergonomic improvements to products used in the gardening industry.
Considering I've flamed several people in this group who obviously have more time than brains I can't provide more info than that. I don't need confused individuals on my doorstep.
I'm the type of person who drives 'experts' crazy because regardless of how many years it's 'been done that way' I'm always looking for a better way.
I use rare earth magnets to hold steel doors open and closed, everyone else uses hooks, doorstops and latches...because that's the way it's been done for years.
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:21:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid wrote:

Boy, you're a real piece of work. My kitchen cabinets have magnets holding the doors closed- and they were built at least 50 years ago, judging from the hardware.
If everyone here is so very, very far below your *obviously* advanced ego... err... I mean intellect, perhaps you should go post elsewhere.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

I guess along with reasoning, reading isn't your strong suit.
snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid wrote:

You know, you'd have a lot more fun if you weren't spring-loaded in the pissed-off position.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

John:
I'm curious -- what did you calculate as the side force on the bearing -- worst case (edge load of 100lb. -- c.o.g. at platform level -- point mass -- 150 rpm -- 24" disk -- assuming no vibration due to imbalance i.e. simplest case).
You seem to be a mech. eng. my specialty is elsewhere -- so not sure I remember all the stuff I should take into account especially once I looked at a bit of vibration all bets seemed to be off :-) . (I had to grab one of my mech eng. books to remind myself of the factors... at least you can see electrons unlike this mechanical stuff. LOL)
I ask because my quick calculations gave me a higher figure than the rating of the hub suggested. Not sure there is any safety factor there, not even sure that the hub suggested is within "required" spec.
Thanks for the thoughts -- even if you don't reply... :-))
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
WillR wrote:

I didn't. I took it as a point mass on the rim secured by friction with a 1.5 safety factor and got 24 RPM before it falls off and stopped there until I got confirmation that 24 RPM was sufficient. That was giving 20 pounds lateral load, friction-limited, neglecting any unbalance in the table itself--I didn't look at the moment.

It's been so long since I've actually done ME (computers bit me hard) that I'd have to dig out the references before I got much deeper into this.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Thanks. I just had a cursory look - but at 150 RPM (since he had mentioned a motor and 150 RPM in another post) I was a little surprised at the force on the bearing -- assuming the load was constrained and didn't fall off... LOL
A little flexing or vibration and it could get interesting. :-)
I had pulled out my ME text and that's why I asked.
Anyway. Not our problem. And not my field.
Best wishes...
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek