Corner cabinets without lazy susan.

Wasted space in corners has always been an issue. Lazy susans don't use all the space either and they tend to get overloaded and stuff falls off, hard to clean etc, etc. And the really good ones are expensive. Twice I have had the pleasure to install a countertop for a new cabinet maker/client who does it this way:

one case he used full extension slides and the drawers were just huge. This particular guy uses face frames. I'll take a picture next time I get to do a job for him. In the meantime, I hope this may help someone else's lay-out problem.

Robatoy

Too much wasted space there, big triangle behind the drawers and in the corners of the other two cabinets that is unaccessible. At least with a lazy susan you can set something in the wasted space.

Reply to
Eugene

As that old saying goes, ".. the more thing chsnge, the more they stay the same."

BTW, Mikey likes it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Draw a circle where the lazy susan would go and let's see you get to the 'spaces' through an 18" opening.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Well, I think this is a great solution if you can waste the angled floor space. However, sometimes Robatoy's solution doesn't work. Our kitchen is rather small, and the counter is at right angles to the stove. There is only 2 1/4" between the drawerfront under the counter and the right edge of the oven door. Under that drawer is a lazy susan with 2 levels to maximize the space in the corner. Above the counter, the cabinet has a door that hinges, so it opens above the counter at both angles.

House was built in 1928-9 and the kitchen hasn't been changed in layout much since then. Radburn community in Fair Lawn, NJ, a historic landmark

Reply to
Han

I like those drawer units with the progressively larger drawers. and put in a corner like that is an excellent idea.

Reply to
asmurff

That is exactly how I built my lazy susan now. Big things like bottles of vegetable oil go in the corners.

Reply to
Eugene

I've seen the same but with the door made in two pieces in and mitered inverted to fit the corner. You have to use under or over mounted slides. You loose some space up front but have a much more traditional look. They usually also divide the shelves vertically so you pull it out and look at it from either side.

V | | | _ |

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Some ideas at

Cabinetry at
a photo of a corner cabinet that looks like something my brother has in his house. Basically it is a base cabinet with a swing-out that drags a couple of drawers behind it. He doesn't know the manufacturer of his cabinets since they were in place when he bought the place.

mahalo, jo4hn

Ban socialized armies!

Reply to
jo4hn

Here's another method for using corner space

L D'Bonnie

Reply to
bob kater

The only way to gain total access to corner space is to use top entry lift out bins such as you find on any decent yacht.

Requires some specialized bins which probably make it cost prohibitive on a production type home.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good design for a stand for a radial drill press or similiar oversized bench tool that normally lives in a corner, but occasionally needs to be pulled out for machining large workpieces.

Reply to
Father Haskell

You know where Canadians keep their armies? =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E..up their sleevies.

Reply to
Robatoy

That little bit of space on both sides of the drawer unit is a 'must- have'. Those corners are never right. Drywallers leave this nice 'thickness' to the inside corner. BTW, those drawers are 32" deep. Just huge. And with a solid set of full extension Accurides, will hold 200 pounds each. The angled sections to the right and left hold all the Tupperware.

Reply to
Robatoy

That little bit of space on both sides of the drawer unit is a 'must- have'. Those corners are never right. Drywallers leave this nice 'thickness' to the inside corner.

Why do you think the operative phrase from my previous post was:

++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, would have to send a ferret to get things from the back of a 32" deep drawer.

My arms aren't long enough.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

it cost prohibitive on

Full extension slides, Lew.

Reply to
Robatoy

Full extension slides, Lew.

It's still 32", front to back.

It's a ferret or an arm extension and I'm not quite ready for a motorized scooter, so I can't get a free arm extension as my consolation prize for testing one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You are supposed to stand BESIDE the drawer, Lew....LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

Now that requires an executive decision, Left or Right side.

Much to complex a skill set.

Next thing you know, you're going to expect me to know why I opened the drawer in the first place.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett