Secondary wood for Curly Maple

Hey, all.

I'm looking for some advice. I made one Sofa Table Bookcase from curly (soft) maple; my plans have expanded to using the Bookcase as a base, and putting another unit on top. I need to make another Sofa Table Bookcase, plus the two tops, so I have to stretch my stash as far as I can. So I'm looking for secondary wood I can use for shelves, bottom panels, rear face frames, internal dividers, and so forth. The project is getting finished with a water-based stain (Russet Amber Maple, W1470, from Woodworker's Supply... a touch redder than what their printed flyer shows) and then Boiled Linseed Oil. The back is a Birch Ply panel that fits into the rear face frame. With the stain, it is close enough to the maple for me.

I can get Beech at $2 per board foot, and Birch at $2.85, IIRC. I forget what Ash was going for.

What would you choose?

Your Novice Termite, Chris

Reply to
Chris Wood

Chris Wood wrote in news:cats-A833CE.01065010042005@news- server-fe-01.columbus.rr.com:

I pay $3.10/bf for soft maple, s3s, in 4/4 or 8/4, in Oakland, CA, with some nice, if not spectacular figure. Why would you risk using something really different from your 'show' wood?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Thanks for the idea.

I'll have to look around a bit more to see if I can find soft maple for a reasonable price. The closest sawmill doesn't stock soft maple at all, and another only deals in curly soft maple - for $10 / board foot. Not what I paid for my stash...

$3/bd foot I could swing; $4 per board foot and I think I'm looking at less expensive stuff...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Wood

Beech is easy to work with, but I found that it moves way too much for my taste. If you go for that, make sure you get it cut and glued up in a very short period of time. Ash should be cheap right now- they are cutting a lot of it in Michigan to keep the emerald Ash borer from spreading. Depending on where you're getting you wood from, though (and the prices you quote are similar to what I pay) why not just use soft maple? It should be somewhere between the beech and the birch, pricewise, and it'd match what you have.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus