Need a source for some wide curly maple

I want to duplicate the jewelry box pictured here:

is a birthday gift for my wife. The dimensions are 20" x 15" x 33

1/2" ht. I would like to make it out of curly maple, the more figured, the better. The main problem I seem to be running into is finding one long continuous board to make the case out of. I figure I need either a 8' x 15" x 3/4" board or an 8' x 8" x 4/4 board I could recut down the middle and joint. The thickness of the final project will be 3/8". I have a planner and jointer, so I am somewhat flexible, but I want a flow of grain around the entire case.

Any suggestions are more then welcome.

Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I suggest Sandy Pond Hardwood in Pennsylvania. They specialize in figured wood for luthiers and can ship to you.

Reply to
fredfighter

Another place to try is

't know for sure if they would have what you want, but they are only about 50 mi. from me in Olean, NY, and every time I visit, they have to give me a drool bib. Last time I was there, saw a table top in the rough, a 3" x

3' x 8' slab of curly bubinga, and they have a LOT of other beautiful wood.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Norm, Did they have a price on that bubinga?

Reply to
Charles Self

Not out in the open, Charlie. I followed the old saw about "if you have to ask, you can't afford it", and kep' mah mouf shut!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow