Cutting Board / Slides.. Help.

I have to replace a cutting board and would like to put it on rolling slides. The cutting board is currently mounted above a drawer and is

3/4" deep. Currently it slides - sometimes kinda slides - in a metal channel tacked onto the inside the face frame. As well as not sliding well it is out of square and is shredding the current board.

I will be making a new cutting board that will be 3/4" thick and would I like to mount it on slides that are less the than full 3/4" thickness, so the hardware can be concealed. I can't do an under-mount because there is nothing to mount the front of the slide to. and I would like Euro style slide or an accuride. The real requirement is that it be sliding and less than 3/4" high.

Second question. What is the minimum thickness for an end-grain cutting board? Does it depend on wood used? Whether the gluing surface has been grooved - i.e. finger jointed? Are there any decent references that people here know of that talk about how to construct good quality long lasting useful cutting boards?

When I started this project.. it seemed... ssssooooooooo simple.. Help!!

Reply to
Pat

Depends on what you going to be using it for.

A simple slide out shelf with some light chopping, no heavy turkeys or anything probably 3/4" is fine.

A good solid cutting board is minimum (IMO) 1 1/2" with 2 1/2" being preferable for something I'm going to beat on.

Reply to
yugami

I think you are going to have a problem finding that slide. Assuming you do (have a problem) you could kerf the sides of the board and use metal "L"s on the case sides. If there is room in the case, you could do the same thing with wood...slides under the board, kickers above. Either way means that the further the board is extended the less support it has.

I made a similar one but as *part* of a drawer. The tops of the drawer sides were milled to half round, the underside of the cutting board has grooves to match and rides on the drawer sides. Pull out the drawer and the board comes too. Want whats in the drawer? Push the board back. Want just the board? Pull it while holding drawer front. Want the board full out but with support? Pull out the drawer, hold board, push the drawer back a bit. If one wants to use it on a counter, it just lifts off. ________________

As thin as you can make it.

--------------

Not really. Most any fine grained and hard wood.

---------------

--------------

How thick it should be depends on its size and how/if it is supported. As I said, you could make it as thin as you could make it - 1/8" say - and any size IF it was totally supported.

Yours will NOT be well supported and I would NOT make it end grain.

------------- We have three cutting boards...

The one on top of a drawer is 1 1/8 x 15 x 20. It is made of 3/4 x 1

1/8 maple strips.

One on the counter by the toaster is 3/4 x 10 x 14. Used mostly to slice bread. Made of maple boards.

One on the island - the only edge grain one - is 1 3/4 x 7 x 7. Used to trim a chop, slice a tomato or onion, etc. Made of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1

3/4 hickory strips. _____________________

It is. Just don't complicate it :)

Reply to
dadiOH