Drawer slides

I'm building a kitchen cart and am looking for drawer slides that allow the drawer to be opened from either side. Self closing would be ideal. Any ideas?

TIA

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Self closing usually have a some type of stop whether it is the slide or the cabinet face frame and drawer front coming together.

If you remove any stop the drawer would continue to go through and fall out the other side.

I suggest you keep it simple and simply let the drawer set on top of a pair of wooden races that has no stops.

Or super strong magnets at the middle of the drawer and middle of the cabinet that attract each other.

Reply to
Leon

Accuride makes them. (Disclaimer: I haven't yet used them.)

in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air? -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The wooden races were my fallback, Leon. Hadn't considered the magnet idea. Brilliant, simple ... and it ought to work. I'll report back

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Once it's loaded up, it might feel a little heavier than normal, huh? It might even be a little unsettling to hear vibrations across the counter when opening the drawer. That being said, it's an interesting concept.

Reply to
Bill

"Leon" wrote

I did something like that for a quilting table. The table was large for cutting fabrics on. I had a number of vertical supports underneath. I just put some wood runners, for the drawers, across the whole thing underneath the top. I built a number of drawers, really long ones. With handles on each end. I waxed up the runners and drawer sides. Everything worked just fine. As long as the drawers were not over filled.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

As Larry says, Accuride makes them.

If you prefer to make them, you could stop the drawers the same way they do on boats: drop drawers.

Those require an overlay front and a face frame. A small piece, tapered in thickness (a wedge), is glued in the front center of the drawer bottom - in your case, at both ends - leaving a space between it and the drawer front equal to the thickness of the face frame + a bit.

When I made them, I used wedges about 2"x2" with the thick edge about 1/4". It is handy to afix rollers to the back corners of the drawers (in your case, the center). The wooden slides are set low enough so that when the drawer is closed, the front will drop down locking it against the face frame. To open, lift so the wedge clears the FF and pull.

Reply to
dadiOH

I actually built a table to go between our recliners, it has a magazine rack on each side and 4 drawers in the middle that slide all the way through from the front to the back side. The drawer can be opened or removed from either side.

Speaking of quilting tables, I recently completed one for my wife, it has 2 pull out extension surfaces similar to the one you set a type writer on, on a desk. These extension surfaces can be pulled out and extended from either side.

Then there is the tower bed project where all of the under bed drawers can be pulled out from either side.

Reply to
Leon

I have used rare earth magnets to hold wooden glass display cabinet doors onto cabinets rather than hinge the doors.

Reply to
Leon

Two way travel drawer slides offer the unique ability to travel in both directions. This feature allows access from both sides of the installation. These slides generally offer a center detent to maintain its centered position while closed. Two way travel drawer slides typically offer =BE extension of the slide rails in either direction and works well for use with pass-through shelving, kitchen islands or medical carts. The Accuride 2002 boasts a 50lb load capacity and is available in lengths from 12=94 to 28=94. The Accuride 2002 is also RoHS green certified drawer slide which helps keep the environment from being damaged during the manufacturing process.

Accuride 0363 two way travel

Full extension from center point in both directions. .85" [21.6 mm] cross section thickness. Tested to 80,000 cycles. Available lengths: 16", 20", 24", and 28" [400 mm, 500 mm, 600 mm, 700 mm]. Clear zinc finish.

Accuride 2002

Two way travel

50 LB capacity 3/4 extension For drawers up to 12" wide Lengths 12"-28" Works well on pass-through shelves, kitchen islands and medical carts
Reply to
Hoosierpopi

On Sep 27, 7:19=A0pm, Gramp's shop wrote: Can you afford 200 plus? Per drawer?

[...]

50 LB capacity 3/4 extension For drawers up to 12" wide Lengths 12"-28" Works well on pass-through shelves, kitchen islands and medical carts 28" Accuride 0363 Drawer Slide [Zinc] Model: AC0363-C28 Price: $259.00
Reply to
Hoosierpopi